VN22L feed drive oil seal?

pjb

Registered
Registered
Hi,
Anyone ever replace the oil seal on a VN22L for the feed drive in the knee?

Mine is leaking quite a bit unfortunately, after finally getting the machine back in nearly running order.

There was a thread over on PM that had some pictures when I last had it apart, and the oil seal was of a strange type (to me), where I have some
pictures showing this seal part no 9764.

Thanks,
Phil

Probably you'll need to pull the old seal out and get measurements from it to find a cross. It's a US made machine so it should be imperial measurements
-Mark

Probably you'll need to pull the old seal out and get measurements from it to find a cross. It's a US made machine so it should be imperial measurements
-Mark

Yeah I've replaced several seals on this machine so far (which were mostly old Garlock seals of various sizes). This one is not a normal oil seal, but you're right in any case, I'll have to pull it out and measure.

Unfortunately that means mostly removing the knee (again).

Yeah it would be great if you could by a full seal kit like for an auto engine- no such luck

Garlock is German. The top seal in my Universal Sub Head needed replacement as part of it's restoration. So, I took the seal down to my local supply house. They could not match it with anything in any of their catalogs. Garlock could not match it with any of their currently available listings either. With modern standardization, many sizes have become unavailable in favor of more commonly used versions. We came as close as we could & a not so purty install was forced to work - but it seals. I'll call it a win.

What i could've done was take the specs for the ever so slightly oversized outside diameter of the seal & changed the outside seat diameter to properly fit it.

Compromised replacement installed.

20190615 03.jpg

I ended up pulling out the seal, which is a GITS face seal from 1940's I suspect. To get the seal off, I was able to raise the knee
extra high (above the level of the splined shaft engagement) by alternatively locking the knee, raising the knee elevation screw, and
putting some steel bars under it (but leaving in a threaded rod to preserve alignment).

The GITS seal is a DP-1500 1765-1855 618-68784. OD is 2.502. This seal is not a normal oil seal, rather it is a spring-loaded face seal that rides against the face of a threaded jam nut.

I've ordered a Dichtomatik 36x63.5x9TC contemporary oil seal to see if that will work.

Attachments

• IMG_3148.jpg
    IMG_3148.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3146.jpg
    IMG_3146.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3147.jpg
    IMG_3147.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 2
Back