Ways protection

The A/C bellows might not be very compatible with cutting fluids. I used these from McMaster to replace the floppy rubber bellows on my Mini-Mill.

Since I had extra material left over, I was considering using it on my 7 x 16 Mini-Lathe (ala Quinn), but decided to keep my Lexan solution:
I was concerned about that before purchase, but once I was able to get my hands on it, I noticed it wasn't the really cheap stuff that weathers from sunlight and tears apart when disturbed like old dried out window blinds, it's flexible vinyl with ~.046" thick pleats with a surface that appears to be impervious to all but the most aggressive liquids that have no place on a lathe.

I'm looking forward to the tool leather arrival, I've never liked the rubber like drape on the mill that doubles for both ways. A bellows strip would be perfect for the column portion.

The 12x12 leather square arrived today and went on without a problem after I cut out a square opening for the post. I like it better than the bellows, which isn't necessary at this point for good chip control into the tray. I have an angular DRO scale on the swivel and the sensor ring is magnetic so along with fine brass particulate going everywhere, there would also be an issue with steel bits sticking to the ring, which has pretty good protection now from a 3D printed cover.

DSC08850.JPG

DSC08851.JPG

Ooh la oui, I see a fresh sheet of veggie like that, and I have the urge to drag blades across it. If you hone your tools, strop them off with that chip guard before cinching down the tool post and your work'll jump up out of the chuck and run for the door.

Back