Well...Dang! & n Double Dang Again!

Whyemier

Active User
Registered
First time in two weeks I felt like going out to the shed after a bout with the flu and upper respitory problems.

Decided to finish the 60 deg dovetail cutter I was machining. I transfer punched the location of the hole I needed for the 6-32 socket head screw. Center drilled it then checked, looked right, then drilled with a number 36 drill. Checked again...Dang! I was off center somehow or other. :panic:Wait, wait, still fixable, I'll take .030" off the back of the insert recess and that should align all back up true to the world. So I did.

Everything back to where it's s'posed to be? Yep, looks good.:aok: I will have to set up back I the lathe and remove about .040" off the diameter to make up for my defrugalty but all in all no big deal.

Then I go to tapping the 6-32. Get it started, throw some oil to it, 1/4 turn, back it off, 1/4 turn, back it off, keep going like that 'til the tip of the tap is showing through the other side. Decide to back it off completely before I go for the finish. Double DANG! I broke the tap off in the hole! :angryfire:

I guess I could just scrap it or mill the other side and try the whole thing over again. Or I could heat it up cherry red and anneal the tap so I can drill it out. But right now I figure I must've been pushing it too hard to make up for a couple of lost weeks. I'll just leave it alone until I can approach it without being aggravated.:whiteflag:

Sit down, surf the web, double shot of bourbon. Yea, that'll do it.

Yup - been there done that. I have found that unless it is a really pressing job, I'm much better off waiting until I'm in the mood to start a project. Being retired I can do that more so than others - and I am grateful.

Sounds like its time for a new project

"spark eroder" springs to mind ;)

Cheers Phil

Been there many a time. That bourbon will make it all ok for a bit. I very rarely drink, but when I do it's likely bourbon.

I'll just leave it alone until I can approach it without being aggravated.:whiteflag:

Sit down, surf the web, double shot of bourbon. Yea, that'll do it.

Yes, there are days when that is the best plan of action! Been there many times. Tomorrow brings a fresh perspective on the situation. :))

GG

The bit I can never understand is when it wont work/go you eventually end up cursing, swearing, blaspheming, smacking it with ever bigger :hammer: etc etc. Nothing works so you admit defeat :banghead: and go inside for a drink (beer, bourbon, tea whatever) leave it alone for an hour and when you return theres suddenly no problem.
Everything just does what its supposed to do.

Where did it the problem go?:anyone:

Back