what about...

Now you want to hook up a machine that is almost twice as big.

Everything You explained me is clear, and I thank You to help me confirming/clarifying my ideas.
Your only statement I can't understand is the one quoted above.
"New" spindle motor is 4.4 KW against 10Hp "old one".
The rest of power absorption is in movement feeding, whose speed, and thus power, could be choosed from nearly 0 up to 1m/min.

If I am to remove this second motor, replacing it with 3 different stepper or brushless motors, feeded via proper, independent (from spindle) supply, for total, let's say 1-1.5 KW (I don't know how to evaluate the minimum size to fit to given machine size), being satisfied with lower motion speed than machine itself could accept, everything controlled by a Personal Computer.
This is the bet.
And I'm looking for information about how to do it.
Have a nice day.

Michele

feeding a machine with much less power supply than officially required (e.g. 3-phase feeding max 2.2 KW against 4.4(spindle) + 1.1(axles) KW, being satisfied with proportionally lower cutting performances?

Michele

sorry had not caught that, I was taking that you were upping the motor HP from your old manual set up.

As for steppers, never played with them, so somebody else will need to help you with those.

Walter

Hi Michele

I live in Sicily and have the same problems, thats why I run a mini workshop;

even then, I have to be careful when sharing the load with the Lady of the house.

I would love to have larger machines but it just seems impossible with the supply limit,

so I will be very interested to see how you manage your system.

Regards, Brian.

Hi, Brian.
Sicily in Italy, is it?
And what is an "English chap" doing, in Sicily?
If You go back with the posts, You'll find the electrical scheme I presently use to feed a very big milling machine.
Of course, nothing can output more then You input in it, but it's, as far as I know, the best way to manage that kind of problems.
For sure You'll have to use one tool per time (don't forget about sicilian landlady... It could be far more dangerous than a poor electrical supply).

If You have any specific question You think I could answer to, don't esitate.

Bye.

Michele

Back