What am I missing...? Zeroing dials on my lathe

Okay, I was just at the lathe and tried to again move the scale for the handwheels on both the compound and tailstock. Nothing budged. I removed the compound handwheel/dial and they appear to be solid. I wouldn't say one piece but possible a press fit? I don't see how the dial could move independent of the handwheel. I WANT to be wrong but.... ugh. Here's the handwheel/dial I removed from the compound.
IMG_3796.jpgIMG_3795.jpg

That ring should not be a press fit. The friction spring or whatever should be under the dial ring. That's strange that it doesn't move. Try spraying some penatrating oil in between the gap & use like a rubber strap wrench or whatever else you have that won't damage the dial/numbers & try turning it.

You all still have me hopeful! One at a time I will work on the handwheel/dial to try and free them up. I will start with some penetrating oil, heat, strap wrench etc. Thanks everyone!

When the wife is not around, put it in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Then see if it comes apart.

My new PM 1228 has dials that turn but you need a padded channel lock on the knurl to get them moving. I have been using spray oil to try to smooth them out. A lot of black oozes out while I'm going through the motions. Just be careful.

Last edited:
Yay!! I had limited success! The compound dial did free up! Now just have the others sitting upright with penetrating oil on the ring/collar and well give them a go tomorrow. Thanks one and all! And thanks OTmachine for the 1340/1440 manual, that helped having a visual and way more detailed than mine.

My Grizzly G0709 has the same type clutch adjust on the compound and cross feed. I pulled the cross feed handle off to install a taper attachment and changed it to a more conventional locking screw. I really struggled holding the crank still while rotating the micrometer dial, always seemed to move a little. Haven't done the compound yet, another project on the "best intentions" list. Thread is below for the taper attachment/ lock screw.

Bruce

When I got my 1440 into the shop finally I had to soak the heck out of the dials with penetrate to get them freed up.
Then ended up having to remove the handles and collars and wipe out the crud.

Back