What are these chips telling me?

Wino1442

Registered
Registered
Hi all....I was wondering what a general opinion is about the chips in the photos and what they are telling me. Is my feed/speed correct or if the insert may be getting dull..etc. I know neither of the photos are nice "C's" or "6's".

My lathe is a Clausing 6304 which only provides 8 spindle speeds...the highest rpm being 1300(-ish)

The material is 1018 steel...the long spiral chips were made at 810 rpm, .030 depth of cut, and a feed rate of .004/rev
the short "curly" chips were made at 810 rpm, .030 depth of cut, " " " .002/rev.

Thanks

IMG_0968.jpegIMG_0967.jpeg

You have room to increase your feeds. The short chips are thin and might be from rubbing (you are using carbide, so you have to get the tool under the cut). The color on the left is not from the good kind of heat removal, it's from thin chips. The stringy ones are ok but a chip breaker will make life easier. It's mild steel, doesn't finish great but has a wide working envelope. Try with stainless and the chips will have a lot more to say.

A chipbreaker may not work at lower SFM. Unless this is a large diameter piece I'd say you're getting about what I'd expect from 1018.

GsT

Thanks for the response....I had forgot to list the diameter of the workpiece...it was 1/2"

I would do a much deeper depth of cut if the job and machine allowed it, with that DOC it would be difficult to get the chips to break.

Back