What can you tell me about fitting a collet chuck? (mini lathe)

The collet block is a nice idea, especially for an ER. With all of the ER collet chucks I've seen (though I am by no means an expert) , you lose the pass-through capability.

So 5C would be the way to go. Poking around ebay I some some odd stuff ("MT5 5C collet sleeve"), and on the forum which nobody dare name there was a discussion of Sieg 5C collet chuck design which mentioned the Metal Lathe Accessories project.

YES THIS is JUST the kind of thing i was imagining ... and from the looks of it - it might give me the best option for pass through ... though I suppose it may also take a bit longer to switch over

What size bore hole does this mini lathe actually have? I was assuming (which is always the problem) that your lathe was similar to the HF 7x12 style!

Well the largest bore you will be able to maintain using that style collet holder setup would be the Inside Diameter of the "DrawTube" aka drawbar that you choose. So the thicker the tube wall is the less pass thru clearance you will have.

Another possible option - can you get an MT5 collet set?

I have a set of MT2 collets that fit straight into my spindle bore. Something like this
You still need a draw bar so pass through is lost, but M5 is much larger so you may be able to use a draw tube you still have enough diameter depending on the size stock you need to used.

The big advantage of ER style collets as I see it is that the nut pushes the collet in from the front so there is no need for anything behind the collet that would limit the pass through capability of your spindle.

What size bore hole does this mini lathe actually have? I was assuming (which is always the problem) that your lathe was similar to the HF 7x12 style!

Well the largest bore you will be able to maintain using that style collet holder setup would be the Inside Diameter of the "DrawTube" aka drawbar that you choose. So the thicker the tube wall is the less pass thru clearance you will have.

Sorry NO idea what the pass through size would be using the draw tube setup as I only JUST heard about it and am mostly a greenhorn with this stuff (though I'd like to think i learn fast) - the max. spindle bore pass through is 1.5" IF THAT ... might be a HAIR below but it's advertised as a 1.5" pass through - i've just heard talk of it being 1-2mm less

Another possible option - can you get an MT5 collet set?

I have a set of MT2 collets that fit straight into my spindle bore. Something like this
View attachment 291173
You still need a draw bar so pass through is lost, but M5 is much larger so you may be able to use a draw tube you still have enough diameter depending on the size stock you need to used.

The big advantage of ER style collets as I see it is that the nut pushes the collet in from the front so there is no need for anything behind the collet that would limit the pass through capability of your spindle.

well THOSE look expensive LOL - wonder how much for a 40 piece metric set (then having to buy an imperial set on top)

Back