What is the advantage of a PM-935TV over a PM-833TV?

AbitNutzT00

Registered
Registered
Is there enough of an advantage of of a PM-935TV over the PM-833TV to consider it? The PM-935TV looks to be the smallest knee mill in production. I guess I'm asking if you're going you're considering moving up from a PM-833TV you might as well bypass the PM-935TV and go straight to a full-size knee mill like a Sharp. I'm unsure how a Sharpe compares to a PM-950V...I realize I'm suffering mission creep here but I'm likely only going to make this buy one time.

Is there enough of an advantage of of a PM-935TV over the PM-833TV to consider it? The PM-935TV looks to be the smallest knee mill in production. I guess I'm asking if you're going you're considering moving up from a PM-833TV you might as well bypass the PM-935TV and go straight to a full-size knee mill like a Sharp. I'm unsure how a Sharpe compares to a PM-950V...I realize I'm suffering mission creep here but I'm likely only going to make this buy one time.
Read the attached document - it may help you discern the relative differences, benefits, and tradeoffs. The benchtop mill has its place, as does the baby knee mill like the 935, and the larger knee mills like a Sharp, Acra, etc. Size, cost, capacity, and rigidity are all aspects that drive the distinctions.

Attachments

• Benchtop versus Compact Knee Mill 12-2021 2.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 94
This is a variable question from person to person dependent on their usage requirements, space availability and budget. If your debating on moving up from an 833 to 935 or greater, you obviously feel you have the space and budget. My experience and education has taught me, like many have shared on this site, is to determine what my typical usage requirements are and then go up one level. This usually applies to a number of mechanical purchases.b I was fortunate in that I was able to utilize both bench mills and full size knee mills of various makes (Sharp, PM, Bridgeport, Jet, Enco) prior to my purchase. And for the first year in business, I was using an Enco bench mill (not because of preference but because of availability). It got me by. One persons experience doesn't always equate to another persons. And with that I will tell you Sharp and PM respectively, were my preferences from those days. Like you, I had determined this was a one time purchase - for the long haul. You can read the technical data on either web sites if you want to compare, and I suspect you already have....several times. So, be honest with yourself, don't let the testosterone go to your head when deciding. Does a 35" table satisfy your requirements or have you been just "getting by" with it? 2hp or 3+hp? Etc. Logic and satisfaction with your decision will be the only factors that can determine whether you will be doubting yourself down the road. Your decision is your own.

My decision was the PM-950V for a number of reasons. I am fine with sharing some: I had used the PM products and knew they were a quality build (Taiwan). I am 50 miles from Pittsburg/Precision Matthews. Service is five stars. Warranty is great in comparison to several others. Price point was a benefit to my budget. I am able to have a vise mounted on the table at all times and use the additional length of the table for a dividing head when required. To date (4 yrs), I have never questioned the purchase. Hope I can say that 20+ years from now. Cheers.

I had the space and the budget (used) but didn’t particularly need a full size mill. I couldn’t pass up an excellent condition and priced Lagun FTV-2. I hardly know how to operate it but I like it.

I owned an 833T for a few years. About 1-1/2 years ago I came across a Sharp mill that I could not pass up. The difference in mass and rigidity is astounding. Nearly everyone on here sings about buying the biggest piece of machinery you can afford. When I owned my 833T I was not so sure about that song but I now have joined the chorus.

Back