What is the difference between cheap tools and good tools?

Marco Bernardini

Active User
Registered
I think I got the difference between cheap tools and good tools:

broken_chisel.jpg

BTW, it's cheap but it's smart: I actually needed a flat chisel the size of the remaining part… :rofl:

broken_chisel.jpg

Years ago, circa 1966-68, my dad used to buy grocery store tools because they were cheap. The market he frequented had a large flat bin full of "tool riot" tools, your choice $.99. He kept them in an old tackle box, along side the dried up bait and the snarls of monofilament.

For Father's Day, my cousin and I decided to put those junk tools out of their misery. We went in half on a Craftsman hip roof toolbox and stocked it with an assortment of Craftsman hand tools.

Come Father's Day, we proudly presented it to my dad. He smiled and thanked us, then went in the closet for his treasure chest of grocery store junk tools. We anticipated he would be walking the box of junk outside for trash pickup, but he opened the box and proceeded to dump his junk tools into the new Craftsman box. We watched in horror as the fine Craftsman tools were buried beneath a pile of pot-metal tools from the grocery store. We asked why and his answer was he didn't want to ruin the new tools or get them dirty. Thrifty to a fault.

We watched in horror as the fine Craftsman tools were buried beneath a pile of pot-metal tools from the grocery store. We asked why and his answer was he didn't want to ruin the new tools or get them dirty. Thrifty to a fault.

That's really funny, especially when my father in law was the exact same way, I bought him more tools over the years trying to be helpful because he was always struggling with junk tools, when he passed away I bet 85% of them where still in the original packaging, he loved to pull them out and look/admire them but unless it was absolute necessary he'd not use them.

I loan out the “cheap tools” and keep for myself the “good tools”.

Back