What is this horo mill?

You may be right about it being a B&S, but I'm leaning towards a #1 or 1 1/2. The #2 has dual overarm supports.
I'll see if I can find some good pictures for comparison.
Having owned several of them, I can say that all the earlier horizontal mills that B&S made had single round overarms; it was not until perhaps the mid to late 1920s that they had double overarms. I do not have enough catalogs in that period to define it any closer, but definitely my older catalogs show single overarms for the whole line of millers, also the books of theirs, "Practical Treatise on Milling and Milling Machines" tells the same story

Having owned several of them, I can say that all the earlier horizontal mills that B&S made had single round overarms; it was not until perhaps the mid to late 1920s that they had double overarms. I do not have enough catalogs in that period to define it any closer, but definitely my older catalogs show single overarms for the whole line of millers, also the books of theirs, "Practical Treatise on Milling and Milling Machines" tells the same story
Interesting, thanks for the info. I figured this one isn't terribly early just because it has multiple slots in the table, I saw the early ones have a single slot. I wish the seller had more pics so I wouldn't have to speculate.

When a machine has been listed for a long time there's usually a reason, especially in a market with few options. Just one major flaw in the base machine could put it into the scrap metal category, I wouldn't be inclined to pay more than scrap value for something like this where I couldn't run it under power.

If the seller is a family member who inherited it they may have been told it has great value. Often there's no talking someone down when their presumably deceased relative put that into their mind, especially if they are older themselves.

And, remember.... Scrap value assumes you bring it to the scrap yard. The cost of moving something like this can be considerable if you don't know how and don't have the equipment. I might be interested in that machine at the price of "come and get it out of here".

Sorry to say, but having been in the marine industry these things are kinda like old boats. You can easily exceed their actual value by just the act of cleaning them.

If you can get it cheap, and are able to move it cheaply, and are willing and capable to make or source any obsolete parts needed to get/keep it running then it might be a great machine for your shop. As a first machine I'd advise a hard no.

Used Bridgeport/clones are out there and will be much easier to put into working order. RF30's (as you asked about in your other post) are generally available cheap and are much easier to move. Either will get you making parts quicker and will have a decent resale value if you want to upgrade.

Don't buy a pig in a poke.

John
Thanks for the insight. I don't mind spending some evenings cleaning and fixing up something like this, or spending a little on bearings or other parts. I'm looking for something in the Goldilocks zone between the Bridgeport and the rf30, really something like a Hardinge tm-um or Clausing 8520.
The good news is that I'm not in a hurry, just bored (which may be worse lol).

Like mine?

They're out there, one was listed in San Jose for $1000 just the other day.

Set up an automatic search like @MrWhoopee and post what you find but don't want.

Best bet is to decide exactly what you want and have cash ready to go when you find it. Patience is your friend, someone close to you does have one and it's only a matter of time until they (or their next of kin) wants it gone.

John

If you end up buying it, talk to me about that vertical head. Since you don’t plan to use it.

I didn’t read you asking us whether or not it was a good deal, or what we thought of it otherwise.

If you’re looking for a sort of 3/4 size machine, I don’t think this is a good way to get there. But I know a guy who has a set up similar to that and I’ve not heard him complain. 45 years as a toolmaker…and nary a whimper. Lol

Interesting, thanks for the info. I figured this one isn't terribly early just because it has multiple slots in the table, I saw the early ones have a single slot. I wish the seller had more pics so I wouldn't have to speculate.

Thanks for the insight. I don't mind spending some evenings cleaning and fixing up something like this, or spending a little on bearings or other parts. I'm looking for something in the Goldilocks zone between the Bridgeport and the rf30, really something like a Hardinge tm-um or Clausing 8520.
The good news is that I'm not in a hurry, just bored (which may be worse lol).
I have seen only one with only one slot, it was their first universal miller, invented and built to make spiral twist drills during the Civil War, up to that time spiral flutes were only made by filing, the wartime bottleneck was in drilling holes in percussion nipples for muskets. They bought it back later, and it set next to the receptionist's desk at North Kingston, yes, just one T slot, and no overarm at all. I had a #2 universal years ago built about 1906, yes, one overarm, but two T slots; I finally graduated to a double overarm machine, a #2 universal built in 1943, finally got my 3rd slot and the ability to use several more accessories', including the universal angular attachment, slotting attachment and (partial) rack cutting attachment, which I have used for graduating rules., and last but not least, the universal spiral index centers.

Back