What kind of metal is the rong fu rf 31 head casting???

The jbweld is just going to be a decoration here. Aluminum bronze is one potential solution, could also braze it. In either case need to heat the whole casting up (maybe around 400-450F) and let it cool slowly.
yes you were right as soon as I replaced the head and tightened the bolts that tighten the head to column the jb weld cracked. can't say I didn't try,lol. now was it a complete waste of time?yes,lol. I drilled a hole through the head and inserted a peice of all thread tightened it down and ordered a new head casting from Acra.seems to be holding up as a temporary fix.

Attachments

• 20200507_170244.jpg
    20200507_170244.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 43
yes you were right as soon as I replaced the head and tightened the bolts that tighten the head to column the jb weld cracked. can't say I didn't try,lol. now was it a complete waste of time?yes,lol. I drilled a hole through the head and inserted a peice of all thread tightened it down and ordered a new head casting from Acra.seems to be holding up as a temporary fix.

Can I ask the cost of a new head casting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can I ask the cost of a new head casting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it was $450.00 since I dont have the proper equipment to heat the entire head casting while performing the necessary weld and I would have had to spend money and time rigging something up that would be adequate I just bit the bullet and ordered the part. If I hadn't already shelled out money and time wasted on all the other failed attempts I would have been a lot more motivated to try and perform a proper cast iron weld/braze. If you value my time at $10 dollars an hour,lol, I already paid for the head casting in time. I figured I would try and put a tourniquet on my bleeding wallet. I really hate losing but Ill live to fight another day.

I think you did the right thing ordering a new head casting. Cry once& be done with it.
With the slight flex when loosening & tightening the column I think ni-rod or braze or whatever would have cracked again.
I have repaired quite a few cast iron housings & I am never comfortable doing it.
Standard disclaimer, YMMV

??? How old is this machine? Rong Fu should have the casting specs and repair procedures. No guesswork.
If your shop is the original owner-
Been dropped?
Used on a project(s) way too big for it?
Probably a casting defect.
Most imported machines from Asia have impossible-to-trace sources. Not these.

StanR

Back