What lathe?

I first bought a mini lathe (HBM DC300) and after some years, I bought a bigger lathe (HBM BF290). They can both turn to tight dimensions but it is easier to do on the bigger lathe. On both lathes I turn the same parts. Cutting depth is limited but even on the mini lathe, I take 0.5 mm cuts in steel without a problem. I could cut even deeper but that would bring to much stress to the half nut (yes, my mini lathe has only 1 half nut) and that would reduce the life time.
Both my lathes are converted to CNC and can be used manual.

What I like the most at the bigger lathe is the 38 mm bore size. Because it has a longer (600 mm) bed, I can keep the tail stock mounted all the time.
What I like the most at the mini lathe is the 80 mm chuck that is more suitable for clamping small parts than the 160 mm chuck of my bigger lathe.

In time, I need the space so one of the lathes has to go. I will then sell the mini lathe and buy a small chuck for my bigger lathe.

I don't think a mini lathe is wrong to get started. If you make a mistake, the damage is less because the power is less.
Thanks

Tooling is a pretty broad term- it can mean workholding like chucks and collets, and it can also mean cutting tools and toolholders
Collets themselves can hold work or cutting tools, depending on the machine they are being used with

Back