What motor do I use for raising a drill press table?

The material is ~1/16" polycarbonate (Lexan, Hyzod, etc.) that I bent with my vise brake. It would probably have taken full 90º bends with no problems, but I chickened out and did double 45's.

Nice work, professional looking end product.
Did you heat the material or just use the pressure of the vise brake?
Also, I assume the Polycarbonate had a protective coating on it? Can't see a single mark in the picture.

To allow the table to be swung, you could attach the threaded rod to a collar around the pillar underneath the table. This also prevents an accidental swing of the table from twisting up any mechanism attached directly to it (table unlocked, walking past and catching on something, pulling the table etc.). I've also found that swinging the table is useful when clamping stuff to the table to be able to get the slots in convenient places.

I'd go with a linear actuator. Almost any will be powerful enough, they're cheap and readily available. If you need full travel, look at running a wire or chain from the base, over a pulley on top of the actuator, then down to the table. Doubles the throw, though halves the power. It's how most forklifts work.

I think I will look at the linear actuator. The 1000N one on Ebay looks like it will handle over 200 lbs, so that might work. My issue is whether or not the collar will slide on the column easily, especially if the actuator is not pushing directly on the collar. I may have to remove the column and get rid of the rust and get it smooth.

To allow the table to be swung, you could attach the threaded rod to a collar around the pillar underneath the table. This also prevents an accidental swing of the table from twisting up any mechanism attached directly to it (table unlocked, walking past and catching on something, pulling the table etc.). I've also found that swinging the table is useful when clamping stuff to the table to be able to get the slots in convenient places.

I'd go with a linear actuator. Almost any will be powerful enough, they're cheap and readily available. If you need full travel, look at running a wire or chain from the base, over a pulley on top of the actuator, then down to the table. Doubles the throw, though halves the power. It's how most forklifts work.

Yeah, I probably need to figure out how to attach this so it can swing with the table. I don't actually swing it much at all; I have a mill drill if I need to clamp something, but I do occasionally need to rotate the table.

I may not need more than 18" or so of travel, but thanks for the tip!

You could just plumb for balls joints attaching the actuator to the base and table. It'll raise and lower a tad when you're swinging the table, but doesn't sound like that'll worry you. Should get a good range of swing, no worries about binding and a nice simple install.

Nice work, professional looking end product.
Did you heat the material or just use the pressure of the vise brake?
Also, I assume the Polycarbonate had a protective coating on it? Can't see a single mark in the picture.
Thanks!
Polycarbonate is easy to bend at room temperature - very tough. Just be sure to leave good clearance between the hold-down fingers and the folding bar if you're using a "traditional" box brake. And yes, I marked on the paper liner ... probably with a pencil. When using the vide brake, I line the mark up to the "male" finger, start to squeeze lightly, then do a squareness check with a small drafting triangle.

if you can, stick the raising mechanism under the table (in front of the column), not at the back. The weight on the table tilts the table on the column ever so slightly down at the front - if you put the raising mechanism at the back you'll be pushing even harder in the same direction. Pushing from underneath in front of the column will straighten the table on the column and it'll move much more easily.

Back