What motor to buy for my logan ward lathe?

Lumps

Registered
Registered
So i blew the original motor for my lathe. It let out the smoke and i saw sparks on drive side of the rotor. am i right to figure it is toast? The original is a 1/2 hp motor. I was considering a 3/4 hp. the main issue I'm having is the frame, what does the 'y' in 56y mean? or does the 'y' matter at all? any help is appreciated.
PXL_20210322_015807460.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20210322_021659311.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210322_021659311.MP.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 5
It means it has a special mounting setup. There's no way to know what that setup is for sure. You may need to drill and tap new holes in the adapter plate for whatever motor you end up getting.

As I'm always reticent make modifications to perfectly good equipment, I've used a 1/4" or 3/8" steel plate and drill and tap holes into the plate to accept bolts from both sides. Another option is to use even thicker plate and counterbore to recess the bolt heads. Does this make any sense?

I don't know about the 56Y designation.
But I've found this link helpful in finding mounts which fit. This is especially the case with retrofitting pre-NEMA machines.

Daryl
MN

56 is a pretty common case style, the Y pertains to either the shaft style or the mounting
Most likely a number of generic 56 type motors would fit your lathe since it's American made
You want an enclosed motor so chips won't get sucked in- TENV or TEFC (totally enclosed, non-vented or fan cooled)
-M

The original instruction manual for the 2130 Wards lathes does not specify a motor frame. They only call out speed and hp (1/2 hp). I have a 56 frame motor on mine. If you go with a capacitor start motor, I recommend not picking one with the cap mounted on the top of the motor. Instead, get one that allows you to mount it with the capacitor on the rear of the motor. There isn’t much clearance under the jack shaft for the motor. Mine just fits. It wouldn’t work if it had the capacitor on top.

the other thing to match up is the shaft size to your pulley bore.

There isn’t much benefit to upping the horsepower. The flat belt is meant to slip if things bind up or crash. Any additional horsepower is useless once the resistance gets high enough to slip the belt. You could go with a rubber flat belt and tighten the belt tension to keep that from happening, but I’ve never had an issue with my canvas belt and 1/2 hp motor not getting the job done.

The 48 and 56 frame size also specifies the shaft diameter. 48 = 1/2". 56 = 5/8" diameter.

Back