What Tools/materials Have Made Your Work Better?

Ripthorn

Active User
Registered
Alright, I know that practice and skill are the bedrock of what we do, but I have an Amazon gift card coming for more than I would typically have at my disposal. There have been a few tools that I have bought and they were so good that it seemed my work when using them was just better. Same with certain supplies (like really good sandpaper or a great saw blade). To give you some info about my setup, I've got a G0704 set up with CNC with just the basics in terms of tooling and workholding, a 7x14 mini lathe again with the basics, a couple really cheap bench grinders, a 4x6 saw, and some of the usual hand tools (mics, calipers, taps and dies, etc.). I also do plenty of woodworking. So I pose my question to you: What has helped improve the quality of your work? What has helped make it easier to work in your shop?

All tools make your work much easer than no tools.:laughing: What you want to do determines witch too lo buy.

The types of projects I do are mostly making my own woodworking hand tools, making hardware for my guitars, and then just small random stuff. I don't do any work on cars or motorcycles and likely never will. I like to make handles, knobs, etc. Machining is not my primary hobby, but a supplement to my woodworking, really. However, I am pretty well equipped on the woodworking side.

The two accessory tools that I use the most are my Blake CO-AX indicator, and my Harbor Freight 12 inch disk sander. The Blake really has only one purpose, but the disk sander is a very versatile tool for deburring, shaping and sharpening and is useful for a variety of materials.

I'm a big fan of Forrest saw blades for woodworking http://www.forrestblades.com/. The HSS insert tooling from AR Warner is a good thing : http://www.arwarnerco.com/. When my Dad passed away back in 2000 I inherited his Walker Turner drill press, at the time I had a Taiwan DP. The WT is so much better. I now have 2 working WT's (Dad's and one more) and 2 others waiting restoration just in case! Mr Taiwan now belongs to somebody else. The drill press is my most used tool in the shop, for both wood and metal.

Can't go wrong with good tunes in the shop. I tend to find used higher end components, still like the old school stereo stuff. I'm pretty much a car & bike guy so are choice of best tools would differ. Just take a stroll through your favorite tool store or online provider and buy yourself something that catches your fancy. Mike

Back