What type of DRO scale is this?

mac1911

Registered
Registered
Im ignorant to DRO types:
I have been thinking of installing a DRO or inexpensive DRO on my smithy which is not worthy of a high end system.
I have read about glass and magnetic scales ….yet there is no mention of what “type” these are
They accuracy claim is .001”
Admitted : I doubt me skills or the machine will deliver anything that good on purpose, if/when I do I would be upgrading anyway.
Also they offer aluminum or stainless scales. At this level would it matter? One reason for DRO is eyesight. I need to switxh glasses to see the hash marks. I dont do well with bi focal or progressives. C5C00462-F48B-4028-91E2-105630BAD808.png

They are capacitance scales. They are an all-in-one type measuring device, not intended to be used with a DRO which uses glass or magnetic scales. They should do fine if you can fit them to your machine.

I have strong hard drive magnets glued to the scale and attach to my lathe, works fine for now. Does not compare to the glass scales ony mill

Don't get the Aluminum scale version (too much flex and there have been many reported issues with them). I have the SS Absolute version on my Mini-Mill & Lathe, using TouchDRO (@ycroosh - I need to start getting commisions) and 8" tablets.

If you're interested in using TouchDRO with these scales, you need to act quickly: I don't know how many Yuriy has left, but once they're gone he wasn't planning on having any more Capacitive Scale Adapters made.

I have been thinking of installing a DRO or inexpensive DRO on my smithy which is not worthy of a high end system.
I have read about glass and magnetic scales ….yet there is no mention of what “type” these are
Admitted : I doubt me skills or the machine will deliver anything that good on purpose, if/when I do I would be upgrading anyway.
Also they offer aluminum or stainless scales. At this level would it matter? One reason for DRO is eyesight. I need to switxh glasses to see the hash marks. I dont do well with bi focal or progressives. View attachment 467932
It’s exactly what I started out with. I could get within .001. Much better than no DRO at all.

Don't get the Aluminum scale version (too much flex and there have been many reported issues with them). I have the SS Absolute version on my Mini-Mill & Lathe, using TouchDRO (@ycroosh - I need to start getting commisions) and 8" tablets.

If you're interested in using TouchDRO with these scales, you need to act quickly: I don't know how many Yuriy has left, but once they're gone he wasn't planning on having any more Capacitive Scale Adapters made.
I went this upgrade and it didn’t work as good as the original setup. The TouchDRO interface was incredible but the scales just didnt work well for me. I can see why Yuri is letting them go. So I moved on and passed the old dro setup on and got a glass scale setup.

I dont think I need all the functions with a “DRO” the mill on this thing is a bit wonky.
Im not spending more on the DRO/scales than what I have into this lathe and all the tooling I acquired. If Im exceeding $300 on this I might as well put $300 aside and start saving.
100 % hobby/fun here.
I do not plan on making or charging for anything I might do.
Even with my lack of skills and short comings of the lathe I already made enough items to “pay for” the machine and what tooling I had.
Made a handle for a tool
New shaft for snow blower replacement was $300
Parts for obsolete press- you want parts to this press you either buy other presses or make them
Custom punches
Bushings and such.
Modified some tools vs buying more.
Picked this set up cheap so im not big on spending a ton on this machine. If it where a better machine - maybe

These scales have the name Absolute in the name. This is not an Absolute scale and neither are the magnetic or optical. The all just count pulses and use the technique of counting from a point where the user zeroed them. An Absolute scale would count from a fixed reference point and as such after a power up would be able to indicate a distance from that point. That is they would be like a ruler with numbers written on it indicating the distance from the end of the ruler. However, many of the scales use memory to record all motion from the user selected reference and so seem like they are always yielding the same zero point. However, remove the power completely, including batteries, move the scale, then power back up and the reading will not be correct. The user reference point will have been lost.

Good magnetic scales essentially have the same resolution as glass scales ~ 1 micron, or 0.001mm . On the other hand you can purchase scales with lower resolution for a little less money.

Also they offer aluminum or stainless scales. At this level would it matter? One reason for DRO is eyesight. I need to switxh glasses to see the hash marks. I dont do well with bi focal or progressives. View attachment 467932
I have an older set of DROs from iGaging that are installed on my benchtop mill. They have the aluminum scales and due to contact issues to the scale (it MUST make good contact to the DRO sensor's ground) they are very sensitive to electrical noise. Stay away from the aluminum scales, the stainless steel scales are much better in this regard. I got mine to work OK but it did take a lot of trial and error to fix the problem.

Back