What type of lube for table screw assemblies?

Threadkiller

Registered
Registered
Hey all. My RF-31 hand wheels are somewhat difficult to turn. I don't think its the gib adjustment. I recently took the table off and cleaned and oiled the X&Y gibs. I also adjusted them just tight enough that the table doesn't move under cutting loads. My screw assemblies have some kind of thick grease on them and not an oil. Not sure if they're supposed to have grease. That definitely cant be helping. They turn ok but having watched videos of other people with the same mill they don't seem to have the same amount of force required to move theirs.

It would be interesting to know if the screw and nut are properly aligned --- personally, I would never use grease on a lead screw.

I was surprised it had grease on it. Not sure what the factory calls for and it doesn't say it in the manual unless I just missed it.

Never hear of using grease it just attracts swarf just use way oil, hydraulic oil or what ever you use to lube the ways.

It would be interesting to know if the screw and nut are properly aligned --- personally, I would never use grease on a lead screw.
Aligning the lead screw on a RF is trivially easy. Run the table to one end, loosen the bearing block flange and re-tighten, then run the table to the other end and repeat. There is a lot of play in the bolt holes of a Rong Fu, and that play is deliberate. It allows you to make adjustments for best performance on reduced-QC equipment. The lead screws should not be tight, that would mean they're binding on something.

Thank you all for the replies. Looks like Ill be taking them out, cleaning the grease off, and aligning.

Been mixing Lucas Oil Stabilizer with way lube, seems to stick better on lead screws.

Back