Which lathe to get?

Buy tooling that will work with a larger lathe, and don’t sell it with the little one when you upgrade to larger lathe.

I've got a QCTP on my machine, so it's a given I think they're certainly a good upgrade, but I used the old lantern tool posts and Armstrong tool holders that came with it for many of my projects and they worked well enough. The QCTP is a great timesaver, but there is something (not always something nice!) to be said about learning with older/simpler tech.

I would recommend a QCTP, but IMO if you are trying to fit things into a budget, the QCTP can wait a little while....you'll get tired of swapping tools soon enough to sell yourself on it but it isn't going to allow you to do things you can't otherwise.

The only other advice I can give is to buy as you need instead of buying what you *think* you might use someday. By the time you need the do-dad (assuming you ever do) you might have found another way to do it with what you have on hand already or may have outrown the lathe you have. Apply cash to what you need to finish the projects you have and build up tooling as your projects require it.

I look forward to seeing what you can make the 7x12 do.

The reason I went with the carbide tooling is because I'll be working on stainless and other hardened metals. I want to make screwdriver bits and I think those are made of chrome vanadium.
Start and practice with softer (easier to machine) metals, before you try with stainless and hardened metals, otherwise you may be standing there wondering how you just threw a 150 pound lathe through the window..

.... bought the quick release tool post from Amazon as well as some round bars from amazon, ranging from 1/2" to 1 1/2" in diameter to play with.

.... bought the quick release tool post from Amazon as well as some round bars from amazon, ranging from 1/2" to 1 1/2" in diameter to play with.

Hey don't leave us in the dark....What did you buy? And what type of "round bars". For small lathes and practice 12L14 steel is nice machining and good for making all sorts of stuff. 6061 is nice machining aluminum.

David

The most important tooling is knowledge. Start with easy projects that use forgiving materials. Don't be araid to ask questions. As you gain knowledge, you will soon know what tooling and even machines that you will need.

Hey don't leave us in the dark....What did you buy? And what type of "round bars". For small lathes and practice 12L14 steel is nice machining and good for making all sorts of stuff. 6061 is nice machining aluminum.

David

I bought the one that was recommended in the previous page. As for the round bars, I bought all stainless. I have plenty of mild steel round bars from work I can take home, but no hardened steel.

https://www.amazon.com/SWING-QUICK-...904&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=oxa+tool+post+wedge

The most important tooling is knowledge. Start with easy projects that use forgiving materials. Don't be araid to ask questions. As you gain knowledge, you will soon know what tooling and even machines that you will need.

For my first project, I think I'll make a thumbscrew. 3/4" knurled knob with a 5/16-18 x 3/4" thread.

The standard tool post is set up for 5/16" cutting tools. If you use 1/4" you will need shims to center the tool. With the 0XA QCTP you can use larger or smaller tools and adjust the cutter height easily with the adjusting wheel and screw on the holders.

Roy

Other than the tools I've posted here that I bought from Amazon, are there any other "must have" tools that I should get?

I have a cutting oil in a spray can that I use on my drill press. Can I use this on my lathe also? All the videos I've seen has the person using a squeeze bottle while cutting.

Back