Which mini lathe....?

New on here (from Canada)
Well, since I've done my research into this long ago, and was in the same predicament, let me tell you what may save you a fortune..

Instead of paying ridiculous import and shipping fees, even after your US/Can conversation, it may be much easier to just get a mini-lathe locally to Canada.

King Canada
Craftex
Powerfist

Powerfist can get picked up at any Princess Auto store, but it only as 1/3 hp, which I don't like. Even though there are videos on youtube showing it turn into aluminum pretty easy enough.

Craftex you can pick up various models of this at any Busy Bee Tools. Though there have been some nasty incidences with these if you do a search on this very form.

I chose to go with King Canda, I could be wrong, but I think the head office is in Quebec... but you can pick them up at many retailers across the country IIRC. I drove down to Hamilton to pick mine up in the car.

Some clever people have noted that these names are really just names only, and are the same things as Grizzly counterparts and are interchangeable, etc. Just name branded to appear different in different countries :)

Though some models have some interesting modifications.

Mills and lathes with brushless motors are more powerful than the ones with classic/regular motors, and therefore more expensive.

Well, since I've done my research into this long ago, and was in the same predicament, let me tell you what may save you a fortune..

Instead of paying ridiculous import and shipping fees, even after your US/Can conversation, it may be much easier to just get a mini-lathe locally to Canada.

King Canada
Craftex
Powerfist

Powerfist can get picked up at any Princess Auto store, but it only as 1/3 hp, which I don't like. Even though there are videos on youtube showing it turn into aluminum pretty easy enough.

Craftex you can pick up various models of this at any Busy Bee Tools. Though there have been some nasty incidences with these if you do a search on this very form.

I chose to go with King Canda, I could be wrong, but I think the head office is in Quebec... but you can pick them up at many retailers across the country IIRC. I drove down to Hamilton to pick mine up in the car.

Some clever people have noted that these names are really just names only, and are the same things as Grizzly counterparts and are interchangeable, etc. Just name branded to appear different in different countries :)

Though some models have some interesting modifications.

I paid US$712 for the 7x14 Grizzly shipped to my door - that's only CA$905 and I paid $22 brokerage and under $40 GST - so all in (the unit with tax + shipping + brokerage) was under CA$970.

There is no import duty on lathes - only GST in my case as I'm in Alberta - and it's delivered on my doorstep.

The Grizzly also has better features than the King Canada - it's. 7x14 compared to the 7x12 of the King Canada and it has the "big boy" tail stock which I much prefer over a bolt that needs to be loosened to move the tailstock. Also had a built in rev counter that the KC doesn't have - and quite a few other features too....

So no, I saved money by buying it from Grizzly - not the other way round.

And the Busy Bee one is CA$1200 and no better than the King Canada in features.

I am happy with my purchase - it was WELL worth it and absolutely hassle free.....

I am happy with my purchase - it was WELL worth it and absolutely hassle free.....
That's the main thing, as long as you are happy with it and have no regrets.
I honestly think you got a great deal for $970 ,it is a 7/14 which is bigger than the Busy bee lathe but if (in the future)you ever wish you had bought a 7x16, LMS sells the 7x16 extension and also the cross slide travel extension which I recently bought and quite like the extra travel.
Grizzly also has a much much better customer service than busy bee.

Back