Whipped up a new hammer

Badabinski

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I didn't do all of this today, but I made a new hammer to replace the first one I made (which died because I put too much gronk into a swing).

New hammer:
PXL_20210201_051621853.jpg
The handle and head are 4140PH. The faces are copper and PVC (only chosen because it was that or turn down a 2.5" round of Delrin).

My old hammer, for comparison:
IMG_20190316_180840.jpg
Aluminum handle (that snapped at the thin point), mystery steel head, brass and mystery plastic faces. Fun fact, I made every part of this on a Sherline 4400 which definitely pushed that poor little lathe to its limits.

I made my new hammer much smaller and longer to let me reach into tight quarters to tap stuff in. I typically don't need a big chungus hammer blow, just some little persuasive kicks. I do wish I had accounted for the weight of the copper versus the PVC, however! It's a little off-balance.

One could shift the handle attachment slightly to compensate for weight

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

One could shift the handle attachment slightly to compensate for weight

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I think that's what I'll do for the next one I make. I might try to model it and figure out where the center of gravity in the head is.

Cool! I made one with stainless but I didn’t thread far enough in and one side of the brass ripped out of the threads. Also only had to small pieces of brass so I had a small side and a slightly larger side. remade it the other day with just solid brass.

Old
ee6af5f93d0cd7bdf0906b5c095e5a5a.jpg

New , same handle. Got piece of 1.5in brass. Just made this one solid

afeeced7767fb9536e565a1011f85929.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool! I made one with stainless but I didn’t thread far enough in and one side of the brass ripped out of the threads. Also only had to small pieces of brass so I had a small side and a slightly larger side. remade it the other day with just solid brass.

Old
ee6af5f93d0cd7bdf0906b5c095e5a5a.jpg

New , same handle. Got piece of 1.5in brass. Just made this one solid

afeeced7767fb9536e565a1011f85929.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks nice! I have the same issue when it comes to having brass raw stock. I can find steel and aluminum all day at my local scrap place, but I have never seen brass stock once. I love brass, but man do they make you pay a lot for the privilege of turning it!

I do wish I had accounted for the weight of the copper versus the PVC, however! It's a little off-balance.

Could you chuck it up again, drill the bore deeper beneath the threads, and pour in some molten lead? Then chase threads with a tap and put the plastic tip on. Would this add enough weight to that end of the head to balance it?

Seems like moving the handle would make it clumbsy.

Nice looking work, I think I'd have to bore out your old one & set in a heavier handle, it's too nice for the scrap bin!
Brass & 12Lxx steel! Makes us all look like a Rockstars, but man is it pricey! Anymore I almost cringe when I have to work with aluminum or copper, I'd rather work with 4140, when I can afford it that is. Lol

Could you chuck it up again, drill the bore deeper beneath the threads, and pour in some molten lead? Then chase threads with a tap and put the plastic tip on. Would this add enough weight to that end of the head to balance it?

Seems like moving the handle would make it clumbsy.
That seems like it would probably work, although I don't mind the offset weight now that I've had a chance to use it. I haven't noticed the hammer wanting to twist when striking, and the mass of the whole thing is low enough to manage it.

Nice looking work, I think I'd have to bore out your old one & set in a heavier handle, it's too nice for the scrap bin!
Brass & 12Lxx steel! Makes us all look like a Rockstars, but man is it pricey! Anymore I almost cringe when I have to work with aluminum or copper, I'd rather work with 4140, when I can afford it that is. Lol
I maaay have used my old hammer as a "beater" after the handle snapped for several months until the brass and plastic faces snapped because I didn't loctite them in. I haven't made the same mistake with my new one.

4140PH is my favorite. Doesn't break a chip as nicely as other steel, but it's tough as heck, polishes nicely, and means I can put off learning how to heat treat until I've picked up a proper oven. It's also not too pricey on McMaster for 1" round stock. 6 feet of 4140 seems to last a good while.

Looks nice! I have the same issue when it comes to having brass raw stock. I can find steel and aluminum all day at my local scrap place, but I have never seen brass stock once. I love brass, but man do they make you pay a lot for the privilege of turning it!
Gotta build you a furnace. Every plumber around had a barrel of old fitting. They're just all the wrong shape.

Back