Who made this milling vise?

vintageiron

Registered
Registered
A local scrapper brought me a drill press he picked up yesterday, the drill press was nothing special, a medium sized press badged Ludell with a welded up table made from angle iron. The drill press motor runs but it screeches like nails on a chalkboard.
The vise was bolted to the angle iron rigged table and almost outweighed the whole drill press.
Its rough but it works surprisingly well. It appears to have had some repairs around the screw threads but the repairs look as old as the vise. It was completely covered in cheap white paint, as was most of the drill press, I chipped away the paint off the upper parts.
Its about 1/3 smaller than a classic Bridgeport vise but still has 6" wide jaws. Surprisingly its tight and works very smooth. Its got its share of battle scars on the jaws but those are an easy fix. I see no markings on it at all, no tags, no casting marks, nothing.
It was bolted down to the drill press table with some ancient looking square headed hardware, it looked like it had been on there for a long time.
The junk guy swapped me for a barrel of empty aluminum cans.

Any idea who made this thing?
Age?

Attachments

• 100_5661.JPG
    100_5661.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 100_5662.JPG
    100_5662.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 100_5663.JPG
    100_5663.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 100_5665.JPG
    100_5665.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 63
Looks much like a Brown & Sharpe vise to me, I'd bet money on it.

I was thinking Brown & Sharpe but couldn't find another one with the same design. The cutout area on the main body was different from any of the older Brown & Sharpe models I've seen.
I have two similar vises that is marked B&S right on the casting but they don't have removable jaws or the rear cutout area.
The head of the vise is also cast a bit different.

As a vise, it holds well, I'll likely clean up the jaws a bit and flatten them on a surface grinder but as-is its fine for drilling and rough work.
I really like how low it sits on the table.

Back