Why We Still Buy Cheap Tools

Almost identical experience I had with snap-on tools. I currently don't own anything snap-on makes. I purchase craftsman tools because, they honor their product replacement guarantee.
So sorry to hear! I remember also having a heck of a time finding the truck. Dragged that ratchet around in my truck for a year till I spotted a truck, LOL. I still use Snap On though, just not in the mood to return anything. You are correct, Craftsman is a lot easier to return. You can even go to ACE Hardware.

The "Big Box" brands like Husky and Kolbalt have lifetime warrantees. I did return a couple of screwdrivers that striped out and they did indeed replace them.

HF now gives a lifetime warranty on their hand tools too.

Last edited:
The tool depends on what you are going to do. When I worked on electronic organs and tuned pianos. I bought the best tools and test equipment that I could afford. When you are a hundred miles away from your shop in a customers home, you can not afford a tool break or a meter go bad. A few years ago I had to drill some holes in a concrete wall in my home. Renting a rotary hammer would cost me about 100 bucks a day. Harbor Freight had one for sale at the same price. Worked just fine, and I have used it on other jobs since then. If it broke right now, I'm still money ahead.

Renting a rotary hammer would cost me about 100 bucks a day. Harbor Freight had one for sale at the same price. Worked just fine, and I have used it on other jobs since then
Had the exact same problem, had a 20 percent off on top it. Thing is still working. Have gone through several of their 4.5 angle grinders, and now purchase a porter cable one. Twice as expensive but has lasted longer, Another tool that has good feel is was some of the Proto lines back in the 70s, And their were 2 dealers in town, and both carried Proto, and SK tools. Both would do warranty no problems if you broke something. Closest Sears was in the next town and it was just a mail order place. The closest place that would handle craftsman was over 100 miles away. Snap-on would come to town about once a year, same with Mac and Matco So had to save things up. for when they came. Which was fun at times as some special tools came from each. And some of those special tools were the worst tools they had.

In my younger years, family working in a oilfield town in south Texas. Used to go to town with grand dad. He would make his rounds to the Wilson supply store, they would have J. H. Williams tool displays we used to drool over. If course, Papa would not buy us anything. Go to the auto parts store, there they had wall to wall tool displays of Proto tools. Papa still wouldn't buy us anything. Go to Gibson's discount store, he would let us buy a tool or two, obviously, about two grades down from the other brands at the other stores.
Fast forward about 45 years, Tried to buy every Craftsman tool known to exists over the years. Got more tools now, than I did as a kid, and what to do with!

Reactions: kvt
Back