Wired up the VFD on my Bridgeport Mill

Tmate

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I stripped off all the electrical apparatus from my Bridgeport J Head step pulley mill, and ran wiring directly from the VFD to the motor. I took the works out of the factory reverse/drum switch and left the terminal blocks. This reduced the motor connection to three leads and a ground.

The fifty year old (1969) 1 hp 3 phase motor works as smooth as silk with the new KBAC 27D VFD. I used a 2 hp capacity VFD in case I ever want to switch to a more powerful motor. Since the VFD provides an electronic reverse, the back gear can still operate in a forward direction.

Attachments

• VFD hookup.JPG
    VFD hookup.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
Bein's how the VFD uses low voltage inputs to control direction, etc., you might be interested in a feature I added to a Bridgeport look-alike. It's an industrial grade microswitch that detects the position of the back gear lever and "corrects" the forward/reverse function.

Bein's how the VFD uses low voltage inputs to control direction, etc., you might be interested in a feature I added to a Bridgeport look-alike. It's an industrial grade microswitch that detects the position of the back gear lever and "corrects" the forward/reverse function.
I did the same to my mill, though I had to build a simple relay circuit to get it to interface with my VFD. I also added a instant reverse feature that is awesome for tapping.

Back