Wiring drum switch for lathe

Abody711

Registered
Registered
Attached are the layout of the connects I believe I need to make on my drum switch for my new motor. Second attachment is the drum picture. The motor states T5 and T8 need to be reversed to change the rotation of the motor. Am I on the right track ? The old wires attached were for the old burnt out motor.

Attachments

• wire1.png
    wire1.png
    312.5 KB · Views: 17
  • wire2.jpg
    wire2.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 15
Does the switch have a diagram for the internal contacts? Judging from the jumper wires it's a 3-pole switch with center off.
If that's the case then this should work:
(be sure to provide a ground wire to both the motor frame and switch case for safety, not shown)
220v3-polesw1.jpeg

-Mark

Last edited:
Markba633csi you are correct about the design of my switch. Thanks for the detail diagram. The issue to me is T4 has 110v going to it all the time. Will it hurt anything in motor? It is opportunity for a fool like me to start messing with the motor without unplugging the lathe and get shocked. Yes, I do dumb things at least once a year.

There's an alternate way to connect it if you want to break both sides of the power- give me a sec.
Here ya go: (note the switch jumpers are reconfigured)
220v3-polesw2.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm not following 5 and 8 need to be reversing to change direction. The diagram has 8 and 4 reversing. What am I missing? and thanks for all your help

Back