Wood to Metal bandsaw coversion made easy

Nice conversion - you even matched the paint. As you mention you could convert it back and no one would ever know.

One Question
My wood cutting band saws have all had crowned tires (neoprene or cork) on the wheels, while my metal cutting bandsaw experience is only with bare metal wheels or uncrowned neoprene wheels - both with a rim on the back side. Any idea why the difference? Is it that metal cuttting saws run at lower SFM?

Michael

To make room for the tooth set?

For what it's worth, my Craftsman saw was converted by the company I work for, when they first started out. But within a year or two they bought a Powermatic and sold this one at an employee auction. But then they were trying to cut heavy stainless.
bandsaw.jpg

bandsaw.jpg

Nice conversion - you even matched the paint. As you mention you could convert it back and no one would ever know.

One Question
My wood cutting band saws have all had crowned tires (neoprene or cork) on the wheels, while my metal cutting bandsaw experience is only with bare metal wheels or uncrowned neoprene wheels - both with a rim on the back side. Any idea why the difference? Is it that metal cuttting saws run at lower SFM?

Michael

I have used metal only bandsaws with neoprene tires as well as none at all no differance they both work. Cutting steel seems to work best at about 150 to 180 SFM I did not show I installed a couple of brushes to keep the tires clean..If you dont tell the saw its a wood saw it does not care:rofl: Ray

Last edited:
I have a Delta 2 speed band saw wood/metal. In addition to shifting a lever (engages a gear in the case) the drive belts have to be changed. Sort of a PITA but most work is metal cutting, thus very few changes. Your conversion is outstanding and if the need ever arises I know how it was done now.

Ray

Back