Yammering

I have the opposite problem.
If I was doing a long "honey do" I would call up a friend and ask him to come round to stop me working.

some people just can't help it they just like the sound of their own voice.it's worse if they are on youtube trying to explain something, a 5 minute video becomes a 5 part series.

Just be truthful I'm to busy now to waste time yakking ,,, yammering on the phone , call YA later.

Reminds me of Emily Carr, a well-known yet somewhat eccentric artist who lived and painted here on the west coast in the early part of the 20th century. She lived alone, save for some pets one of which was a monkey, and although she had chairs in her little abode they were slung from the ceiling. The story goes that if you happened to call and she wanted you to stay, she would let down a chair. If she didn't, well, there simply wasn't anywhere to sit.

-frank
Frank, on the reservation next to my town lives a national known artist. Every so often after he gets his panels made, he calls me and my helper to gesso them. He asks us to always come after lunch. Early on when I asked him why, he said that he always does his painting from about 4 a.m. to noon. And there was no way that he was going to be disturbed and that included phone calls. All I said was" gotcha".

I am (re)known within my family and friends, as "like pulling teeth" trying to have a conversation with me. I have a fairly small circle of friends and their names all come up on caller id. So if its someone I know then I will answer and the conversation will be brief as they all know I am not a chatty person unless over a coffee and face to face. If I dont know the caller number I simply dont answer if I am busy. I have disconnected my landline, as after I sold my business, the only people who called me were telemarketers. Mobiles, and their functions, are great. I still get the occasional cold call and if it is a seller, then they go on my auto-reject list and problem solved!
Randy, if you are not really a chatty person then the people who have known you for some time should also know and recognize that. They should be able to understand your brevity on the phone. If not, then a bit of bluntness may be required but its not necessary to be rude. eg "I cant talk right now, but if you email me then I should be able to answer your question" is a great put down. If its important then they will, if its just chat, well then, what can you say in a 1 sided letter? Either way its a polite conversation ender.

Cheers Phil

Back