Year of manufacture

Philgoodtoo

Registered
Registered
I recently bought an Atlas 10" lathe, model TH48. Serial # 05 42 88. It has a vertical countershaft assembly. Does anyone have any idea what year this lathe might be?

Our member wa5cab is the expert on Atlas/Craftsman lathes. He'll be able to answer that question for you. I suspect he'll turn
up soon.

Welcome to the forum by the way! As soon as you can post photos, let's see some pics of your lathe.

I recently bought an Atlas 10" lathe, model TH48. Serial # 05 42 88. It has a vertical countershaft assembly.

Based on some bearing dates on some nearby serial numbered Timken equipped 10F's, your machine was made in late 1944. Should you ever for any other reason pull the spindle, note and report the bearing dates that should be hand-engraved on each of the four bearing components. Although we know that Atlas didn't practice FIFO (First In First Out) with its inventory, we do know that a machine couldn't have been made earlier than the latest of the bearing dates.

The 10F Series of machines were up until 1948 made in four bed lengths, 36, 42, 48 and 54. They were originally fitted with either a Vertical or a Horizontal Countershaft. And they were made with Babbit or Timken spindle bearings. There was no letter assigned for Babbit, T stood for Timken, and H meant Horizontal Countershaft or V meant Vertical, and your machine should have a 48" bed. Which means that it can handle work up to 30" long between centers. Your machine either originally shipped with a Horizontal countershaft, they changed it at the last minute on the assembly line or some previous owner or PO changed it later.

Welcome aboard.

Thank you for the information. I did not realize it would be that old. I guess it had been painted not long ago. The ways look like new. Although I have been replacing counter shaft parts, namely the motor plate and hanger. Thanks again.

You're welcome. How about posting a photo of the lathe?

I may do so once, I fix the counter shaft, and get the lathe on the Atlas legs I bought for it. Also waiting on a replacement hanger, and need to cut down some table wood. One more question please. My motor does not have an ID plate. I'm not sure of its size. It runs well though. What size motor was fitted with this lathe?

During the 30's and 40's and in fact right through to the final production in March, 1981, Atlas lathes were sold without a motor. Atlas also sold motors but you had to order the motor separately. However, the factory recommended minimum was 1/3 HP @ 1725 to 1750 RPM. The maximum recommended for the 3/8" bed 10" and 12" was 1/2 HP. The only way to find out what your 10" had in the beginning would be to look up the original invoice. If you didn't get the customer's copy of that, the Atlas copy was destroyed probably in the 1960's. So there is no way to tell. If a motor came with your 10", it may be the original. If one didn't, then use a 1/2 HP 1725 to 1800 RPM either single phase Capacitor Start or 3-phase with either a 48 or a 56 frame size, depending upon whether your motor pulley (if you have one) is for a 1/2" or 5/8" dia. shaft. If possible, go with the 5/8" shaft as it is the standard today. Or of course you could go with a 1/2 HP DC motor if you are into that.

My comments on Atlas and motors generally also applies to Sears. However, in the case of Sears, especially in the later years, they often put one or two motors on the catalog pages for the lathes. But it was usually still a matter of ordering the motor separately.

Back