You pros, do you remember what these HSS are used for? And what one of these are.

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
I have a bunch of old tool steel. I would like to know what some pieces are, and what they would be used for.
  1. I have REX MM which I cannot find info on.​
  2. REX AAA I found was : Rex AAA combines high red hardness, moderate abrasion resistance, and good toughness. This grade is frequently used for more severe cutting applications than M2, such as machining stainless steels. Rex AAA makes an outstanding tool bit for general purpose applications.
  3. I have something that looks like Super M I think super mo-max, but it's not shinny like my other mox max. including a pic.​
  4. What is this... It looks like it has 3 on the label, and 3 stamped into the back of the piece. I can't read the label, hoping one of you recognizes it.20220130_222458.jpg
  5. 20220130_221845.jpg20220130_222638.jpg

Jeff , I have an old chart of the tool steels .

Not sure if this helps.
I started reading this... Not sure I understand, there are some contradictions here:

he addition of about 10% of tungsten and molybdenum in total most efficiently maximises the hardness and toughness of high speed steel and maintains these properties at the high temperatures generated when cutting metals. Molybdenum has twice the effect of tungsten in terms of red hardness, but it makes the steel more brittle and also subject to decarburisation. Standard tungsten high speed steels are therefore sometimes modified with very small amounts of molybdenum.

Then further down:

Molybdenum (Mo) - A carbide former, prevents brittleness, and maintains strength at high temperatures. Improves machinability and resistance to corrosion. Present in many High Speed steels, and air-hardening steels (e.g. A2, ATS-34) always have 1% or more Molybdenum.

Kind of a contradiction.. a good article, but...

Not sure if this helps.
so based on this Article, I think the Super Mo is Super MoTung, it looks like a T after MO.. so good to know that it's good for heat treated forgings and castings. Not sure I know what chilled iron is. I think A2 is a chilled alloy, I think they cool it in nitrogen or something... got to look it up.

high red hardness and wear resistance with loss of toughness. Recommended for turning chilled iron, locomotive tyres, and heat-treated forgings and castings. Subject to decarburisation.​

:rolleyes:
Or
Another Super MOtung by the same company with a different purpose and makeup..

M33 typical analysis (%): C 0.9; W 1.75; Cr 3.75; V 1.0; Co 8.25; Mo 9.25 - typically used for cutting tools of all kinds.​

more likely that.. DOH!

I can't read the label well enough to know if it has a 33 at the end.

Last edited:
Are you going to let me in on what they are used for ? Or just tell me you have a chart? :( :grin:
Having a bad day Jeff . I haven't been downstairs .

Back