Z-Axis lock handle when using CNC

slow-poke

Registered
Registered
Newbie looking for help

I picked up an old LC30 round column mill about a year back and have been playing with it ever since. I decided to add CNC capability and added the X-axis and then the Y axis, and linear scales X-Z. All working quite well using the demo version of mach3.

I also made a control panel for regular use keys that replaces the old name plate. While making the bracket to mount the control panel, I also made provision to mount a Z-axis stepper, so I'm about to add a couple more gears and a belt to get the Z-axis under mach control. Then it dawned on me..... what about that lock handle on the left (the one with the red knob)?

It can stay up when drilling, but for milling it much prefers to be down about 150 degrees (less chatter), so I may have to automate that as well. I suppose I could use
another stepper, but that seems overkill. Suggestions please?

IMG_0135.JPG

Yep, good thinking and you're right you'll get some chatter, at least I do, but unless I'm taking heavy roughing cuts it hasn't been an issue. There's really no good way to lock/unlock it when in CNC mode as directions can change very quickly. Even if you add another stepper say a 4th axis, will you hand edit the g-code file everytime to lock unlock it with each direction change? I suppose you could use a macro or something - but I never looked into it. Really nice job on the control panel btw, that looks factory made.

Back