Zero Chuck

Whyemier

Active User
Registered
I was working this evening on the reverse gear attachment to the banjo on my lathe. As usual I was thinking of many different unimportant things and remembered something.:pondering:

When working at the Jax Shipyard I was told to use a 'Zero chuck' on a particular job. A zero chuck is a Jacobs drill chuck that will close completely, you could chuck up a stick pin or sewing needle with no slippage.

When I moved on to other endeavors I use this term to refer to the Jacobs chuck in the drill press. I was subsequently laughed out of the shop. I have never heard this term again, other than from my own lips.

Is this a term use generally by machinists or was is particular to that shipyard or that group of machinists? Has anyone heard the term before designating a type of Jacobs chuck?

Am I the only one!? :veryscared:

Just wondering.:noidea:

Re: 0 Chuck

I haven't heard it, but it makes sense. Chucks are described by the range of bits they hold

There are so called zero-point-chucks.

I call them 0 chucks, but I normally I say “down to zero chuck” to clarify to others.
I normally classify drill chucks by there max capacity.
Other then using the chuck model no. how does one classify chuck size?
Most other machinist I have known would just say small chuck, but that is just a term.

14n chuck 0-1/2”, I have a ¼” Jacobs ball bearing that only goes down to .040 min. .280 max.

O gee, I just resubmitted this post cause I thought it hadn't been posted yesterday, Had some trouble.

Just ignore the other one.

Sorry:sorry2:

Thank You Darkzero for deleting the other post. I had all kinds of trouble yesterday posting anything.

O gee, I just resubmitted this post cause I thought it hadn't been posted yesterday, Had some trouble.

Just ignore the other one.

Sorry:sorry2:

I moved this one & deleted the new one. Please do not post duplicate threads. We can simply move or edit if there is an issue.

Last edited:
Back