12 reasons not to by/avoid a myford ml7 lathe.

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
I saw this on the Youtube suggestions, I don't own one, don't have first hand knowledge, but I watched it, and agree with most all the points brought up. So posting it for people considering the Myford.

I think the author is a bit spoiled to say the least. It sounds like he's describing my 1916 Seneca Falls Star #20 lathe. The major differences between them is the Star lathe is 10" x 60", has a 3/4" bore, and was originally a line shaft driven machine. It has even fewer features, like no taper attachment or thread dial, but it's served me and 2 previous generations of the family with no problems. I must say the unhardened ways on my machine have worn a bit. Right at the headstock they've worn a little less than .010". That's not bad for 107 years of service with the first 55 or so in a commercial machine shop.

Over the years I've threaded hundreds of parts with both internal and external threads. It takes a little more time, and a little more attention, but it can be done if you want to do it. As for a taper attachment I've owned 3 lathes and operated another dozen or so different brands. Of all those lathes only 2 in commercial shops had taper attachments. It's another one of those things that can be done if you're willing to put in the time and effort.

I must say a quick-change gear box for threading is a nice convenience. Years ago, I was making a chuck backplate for the Star spindle using the lathe itself to do it. Fortunately, I was making a practice piece when I realized I'd chosen the wrong change gear. Instead of turning a 1 7/16-12 thread I was turning a 1 7/16-11 1/2 thread. For the life of me I couldn't get my properly threaded test plug to fit. It took me nearly an hour to figure out I'd chosen a wrong gear. At the time I had no idea what an 11 1/2 tpi thread would fit. It wasn't until about 5 years ago that I realized that was the standard size for a garden hose.

The lesson was learned with no damage. Now days every time I go the thread something on this machine I double and triple check that I have the right combination of gears installed.

I didn't think the author was spoiled. They were just going over what they consider were some reasons to look to something else. I didn't agree with all the points, but I certainly see price vs value vs features as a reasonable critique. Not owning one, it helps with decision making.
It's much better than someone doing the analysis on the first day of owning something as we many times see on you tube. The so called experts who have no real skin in it yet.

Can't argue with you there, but the Atlas wins in two categories: plentiful and inexpensive
:)

To put it in some context somebody considering a Myford 7, is likely comparing it to one of the Chinese 7x or 8x mini-lathes, or an Atlas / Craftsman 6x18". A South Bend 9 is a significantly larger / heavier lathe by comparison.

Some models are unique and have very nice features even to this day.

I'm sure there are a lot of Myford ML7 Lathe owners that would disagree with the video. Often making do with the tools at had is the challenge and the fun!

I'm sure there are a lot of Myford ML7 Lathe owners that would disagree with the video. Often making do with the tools at had is the challenge and the fun!
no doubt. Brand loyalty is also a factor.
I just threw it out there for information.
Everything out there has its pluses and minuses.

Back