12 reasons not to by/avoid a myford ml7 lathe.

I don't think he was Spoiled either, He was spot on. Actually, The same can be said for say a Southbend 13 which I used to own, I actually think the Chinese 12x36 Enco I own now is a better machine. The old Southbend had so much wear on the ways there were grooves in them due to them not being hardened, And the Bearings were Babbitt type and the constant oiling, The small through hole in the headstock, The wide width of the headstock, You could go on and on. I have heard guys say you need "Old American Iron" No thanks. Those were very good machines in their day, But The Taiwanese machines of today are far superior in almost every way.

He seems pretty level-headed to me. I love the Myford-7 (and Super-7). I don't own either of them, but I've been around them, and they can do first class work. I think his criticisms are well justfied: they cost too much, parts cost too much, accessories cost too much, and they're a small lathe.

Only fair to mention that the single Myford owner I knew was an English teacher in the UK, where he bought his Myford. They are inexplicably 2x on this side of the pond. I'm not sure how China can ship two tons for the price of a hundred kilos from the UK, but that's the way it is. Buying an Accuracy International rifle is again an exercise in inexplicable cost increase...

GsT

I'm sure there are a lot of Myford ML7 Lathe owners that would disagree with the video. Often making do with the tools at had is the challenge and the fun!
True, but those dials…..

I had a 14x40 hendy 3000#, the headstock was half the size of my entire 13x36 Clausing and not half as versatile.

The entire Clausing with turret tail stock is only 2400# and it will out perform that quirky ass flat belt machine all day long.

Best thing about the Hendy was it was too slow and gutless to ever west it’s self out.

I got a small fortune for it as pre war scrap.

Yeah, I know, but short of a museum piece that was the best option.

Back