120v To 240v Help Needed

....The fact that the motor remained locked perplexes me but then, I've never done that to a motor. View attachment 97338

from my earlier post;
.....maybe ran for 10 seconds, smelled hot and motor case was hot to the touch, not warm, hot. Thought about this for a minute, removed belt from motor pulley to see if the noise might be bearing but really doubted it. Turned motor on again, maybe 5 seconds and there it was, magic smoke

The run times noted above were controlled manually by me, the motor did not lock/stop by itself, I'm guessing thats good news. I'm really loaded up with a lot of work(and family tasks, etc) so no shop time fora few days, I'll carefully try rewire to 240 when I get the opportunity. I eventually want the mill on 240(as measured by the power company) as I ran a dedicated circuit for it and my lathe, the close by 120 circuit receptacle already has enough things on it, otherwise I'd keep it on that.

Brian

Last edited:
That makes more sense. I don't know why I got the impression it didn't spin at all, but that's exactly what I would expect with only one run winding and 240 across it and the start winding. Let us know how things turn out. I know about getting busy. Sometimes my shop doesn't see me for weeks, but it doesn't complain about my absence like some do when I am in the shop for weeks. :)

Mark

Brian,
Here's something to take note of. Hman's post in this thread, http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/is-there-a-single-phase-220v-rotary-reversing-switch.31826/ , shows the wiring similar to mine, only the drum switch works a little differently. I noted I wasn't sure how your drum switch worked, (unfortunately, they're not all the same). So please make note of your drum switch function before following my advice. Given that your drum switch clearly had the jumper already on the 3-5 terminals I'm still confident my wiring should work. Otherwise the wiring is essentially the same.
Specifically, http://www.hobby-machinist.com/attachments/3schematic-gif.97124/
Thanks hman.

Mark

Back