1940 South Bend 9A

Bailey

Active User
Registered
Had been searching for an older SB9 or 10, found a 9A that was listed on this forum.
Received the machine last month and have taken it apart, stripped what paint was left and have started
repaint, cleaning and putting it back together. Bought the wicks and repair book.
Have completed the QCGB and Apron assemblies, remounted the headstock/spindle to the bed and will start on it next.
After receiving the unit I ordered the SN ID from Grizz/SB.

It is noted on the original card that the unit came without the countershaft assy.
My guess was that it was a replacement unit or that it went to a shop with a central drive unit for multiple machines.
Any other possibilities?
I did get a countershaft with the machine that has been added during the last 73 years.
Will post more pictures as work progresses.
Regards

sb9a_3.jpg South Bend Lathe SN 99965 Card.jpg

Sweet, you will love it. We have two long beds and work em hard, they dont care. I'll whisper this, we had never touched or replaced wicks. All I can
say, a steady 8hr day, they run cool or room temp, however, they were never laid up either or restored. And then they get the oil can every couple
hrs, maybe thats the ticket good luck.

Pretty cool that the machine was sold through the same dealer here in the Detroit area that my heavy ten came from, Lee machinery. Be sure to post pics when you get her put back together.

Sweet, you will love it. We have two long beds and work em hard, they dont care. I'll whisper this, we had never touched or replaced wicks. All I can
say, a steady 8hr day, they run cool or room temp, however, they were never laid up either or restored. And then they get the oil can every couple
hrs, maybe thats the ticket good luck.

GK,
Thanks for the encouraging words.
The PO had stated that he was unsure of how long it had set, before he got it.
After getting the machine it definitely needed at least a good cleaning, most of the wicks were gone.
I don't think the machine had been taken apart in 73 years.
Taking this puppy apart has given me a better understanding of how it works.
And since it was apart I decided to give it a coat of paint and one thing leads to another.
Tonight I fit headstock with cone temporarily and mounted countershaft to see what length belt was needed.

Regards,
Bailey

Pretty cool that the machine was sold through the same dealer here in the Detroit area that my heavy ten came from, Lee machinery. Be sure to post pics when you get her put back together.

Greg,

Will do.
But am afraid that I lack the attention to detail and thoroughness that you did on your Heavy 10.
Definitely some nice work you have done on that machine.

Have you noticed a lack of torque at low frequency on your VFD?
I have a TECO with a 3/4hp that I am considering putting on the 9A.

Is Lee Machinery still in business?
Seems the 9A spent its last 73 yrs. in MI, until last month.

I did notice that there was very little rust on the machine, once I scrubbed the bed down most of the paint
was still there, and I am unsure of how long the machine had been idle.
Rust happens overnight here in Louisiana.

Regards,
Bailey

Greg,

Will do.
But am afraid that I lack the attention to detail and thoroughness that you did on your Heavy 10.
Definitely some nice work you have done on that machine.

Have you noticed a lack of torque at low frequency on your VFD?
I have a TECO with a 3/4hp that I am considering putting on the 9A.

Is Lee Machinery still in business?
Seems the 9A spent its last 73 yrs. in MI, until last month.

I did notice that there was very little rust on the machine, once I scrubbed the bed down most of the paint
was still there, and I am unsure of how long the machine had been idle.
Rust happens overnight here in Louisiana.

Regards,
Bailey
I have wondered if lee machinery was still in buisness, I have not checked into it yet. Thank you for the kind words about my 10. Would love to see your lathe and what you are doing to it. Not all lathes need to have a full restore and people may not have the time to devote to such a large project, so don't be shy, show us yours. As far as the vfd goes, I have not needed to run it a low frequency and just change speeds with the pulleys so far. I am also running the original 3/4hp motor. Keep us posted on your progress.

The apron needed a good cleaning

- - - Updated - - -

The QCGB

sb apron 1.jpg sb qcgb 2.jpg SB QCGB.jpg SB 9A Gears.jpg clutch worm.jpg SB Hdstk QCGB.jpg sb headstock.jpg sb9a_2.jpg SB Hdstk.jpg SB bed cleanup.jpg acc.JPG chuck.JPG chuck2.JPG sb qcgb mask.jpg sb cone before.jpg sb cone after.jpg SB Bkgr.jpg sb countershaft.jpg

Last edited:
The gearbox looks pretty clean for it's age, but I agree the apron could use a cleaning. Did you get any wrenches and tooling with this lathe?

The gearbox looks pretty clean for it's age, but I agree the apron could use a cleaning. Did you get any wrenches and tooling with this lathe?

Not much in way of tooling or acc. The chuck is a 6" Union Mfg. it took me 3 days to remove it.
I think it was put on the machine in 1940 and never taken off <g>
The faceplate has seen some use, the steady is broken at the hinge and hopefully be repaired, the Jacob chuck works and fits the TS.
The lantern style tool post has 2 Armstrong holders, straight and RH

I have to finish the compound and the machine will be ready to go.

Then the spending begins -
AXA QCTP
Collets
HSS cutters and a few carbide
to name a few items

Not much in way of tooling or acc. The chuck is a 6" Union Mfg. it took me 3 days to remove it.
I think it was put on the machine in 1940 and never taken off <g>
The faceplate has seen some use, the steady is broken at the hinge and hopefully be repaired, the Jacob chuck works and fits the TS.
The lantern style tool post has 2 Armstrong holders, straight and RH

I have to finish the compound and the machine will be ready to go.

Then the spending begins -
AXA QCTP
Collets
HSS cutters and a few carbide
to name a few items

I have a couple of original southbend wrenches that I got from member stonehands, they where the wrong ones for my heavy 10. He sent me the correct ones and said to just give them to someone else here that could use them. If you are interested 1 is 3/8" square wrench for the saddle lock or tool post, and one cast wrenchthat may fit your tail stock clamp nut. Pm me your addy if you think you could use these.
Greg

Back