2013 POTD Thread Archive

Mark, thanks. I have a 61 Wheel Horse that I need to redo the front spindles on. Ill need a bigger lathe to put them in and turn them down then make a bushing to slide back in the wheel. I dont use it just pull it out for one show a year. The only things I can buy new for it is a hand full of snap rings so I have lots of learning to do before I tackle that job!

Mark, thanks. I have a 61 Wheel Horse that I need to redo the front spindles on. Ill need a bigger lathe to put them in and turn them down then make a bushing to slide back in the wheel. I dont use it just pull it out for one show a year. The only things I can buy new for it is a hand full of snap rings so I have lots of learning to do before I tackle that job!

An actual "Wheel Horse"? Something like this maybe?

DB0001.JPG

DB0002.JPG

-Ron

My garage floor is not in very good condition so some feet for the new G4003G lathe are needed.

Made up 4 of these yesterday and painted them this morning.
lathefeet002_zpsf6ec7b64.jpg

Around 9:00 tonight they seemed dry enough to handle. Could not resist installing one of them. The Lathe is still very high in the pictures. I will drop it down once I get all the feet installed.
lathefeet003_zpsf602882f.jpg

Does not look like it in this picture, but there is still 2" of shoring under the lathe. I thought all my welds turned out great, if I do say so myself:))
lathefeet004_zps47a6b43b.jpg

Those are some nice welds, congratulations!

Finished putting the G4003G on the adjustable feet tonight. There are much easier ways to install feet on this lathe but I tried to keep the stands as low as possible since these machines sit so high without feet. That is why my mounts are so odd looking.

lathefeet001_zps3345e2a4.jpg

lathefeet004_zps8f43afee.jpg

Scrap

I looked for a few years to find this one. I have a hand full of pics of my dad, he died when I was 2 mts old, and one of the pics I have hes on this tractor. His was equiped with elect start and light, options for this model I was told. Any way got to rebuild the front spindels and mower deck spindels all that are NLA now. The last pic is a friend of mines jig to fix his on the same tractor, this is why ill need to find a larger lathe.
WHEEL HORSE !.jpgWHEEL HORSE 2.jpgBIG MIKES SPINDLE.jpg

WHEEL HORSE !.jpg WHEEL HORSE 2.jpg BIG MIKES SPINDLE.jpg

My neighbor lady had a shepherds hook plant hanger that wouldn't stay upright in her flower bed. So for a Mother's day present I added some #3 rebar "feet" and put a little triangle truss to keep it all solid and rigid. The welding was done with my Harbor Freight 90amp flux core wire welder. I learned to weld with a stick welder so it is taking a little time to get the hang of this one. It's not too hard once I get the wire feed speed dialed in. Hit it with some black Rustoleum to make it look purty. Oh, and I also got to use my HF oxy-acetylene rig to bend the 60° angles for the truss. Now it stands up straight with two heavy hanging baskets of strawberries and flowers.

View attachment 54068View attachment 54069View attachment 54070
I am sure she is a happy lady now, no better way to "happy mothers day" then to give someone something they will appreciate every time she walks out the front door.

I got the LeBlond steady rest awhile back and it came with a 1/2 stud and a coupling nut witch wasn't right.

I got the steady rest cleaned up and painted then I made a thick washer and a 5/8 X 11 nut. When I set up to hot blue again I'll get these in the pot.

Picture 2 is what it looked when I got it 1 is the hut and washer 3 is them in place.

Paul

Steady rest.JPG Nut & Washer.JPG In Place.JPG

Well really didnt do a project but i dont think my pics warents a new thread, so Ill put them hear. Had a brass ball valve that was too light to scrap today so Ive never turned brass, so i tried. Man it turns nice. I see some brass or bronze bushings in the future in some steering parts on one of my small tractors.
View attachment 53978View attachment 53979View attachment 53980View attachment 53981View attachment 53982

Be careful, or you'll end up like me with a 4800 sq ft shop full of old stuff that may be too useful one day to throw away

Nice old Wheel horse, Have you found a group on yahoo? tehy should have one. I have had/have several old garden tractors and there are groups that cover most of them. There are lots of guys with a lot of knowlege on these machines. Wheel horse is a big name and a great tractor so I bet you can find a group there if youneedany info or manuals. Again nice tractor
Scrap

I looked for a few years to find this one. I have a hand full of pics of my dad, he died when I was 2 mts old, and one of the pics I have hes on this tractor. His was equiped with elect start and light, options for this model I was told. Any way got to rebuild the front spindels and mower deck spindels all that are NLA now. The last pic is a friend of mines jig to fix his on the same tractor, this is why ill need to find a larger lathe.
View attachment 54062View attachment 54063View attachment 54064

Scrap

View attachment 54064
Vince, you don't need a bigger lathe just reverse things - put a piece of heavy wall stock in your chuck with a tool bit through the side of it sort of a boring head, mount the axle to a v-block or angle plate on the compound, adjust the tool and bore away. Then just tell the wife you need a bigger lathe anyway!

Back