2013 POTD Thread Archive

I made my nephew a shift knob for his mustang, Still need to remove the excess and tap the hole.

001.JPG
012.JPG017.JPG

Kevin

001.JPG 012.JPG 017.JPG

Been working on this off and on for the last week I would not do it again on a South Bend Lathe.

It is the scale for the X and they were setup to go on the right side. The problems would be the same on that side to.

But my follow rest mounts on the right side and thats the reason I put it on the left. I'm about done waiting for some M3 X 30MM screws to come tomorrow fron McMaster-Carr 100 for about 4 bucks. Couldn't find any around here.

Check out all the spacers in the pictures.

Paul

5.JPG 6.JPG

I recovered my cnc lead screws today. I don't have a lathe yet so a buddy machined them. Z axis is finished and works! That's a pretty big accomplishment for me. Not to much machining experience here, yet.

Today I mounted a dremel in my lathe for grinding and promptly stripped the plastic dremel drive coupling. Fixed it with a solid brass coupling. Now when I grind all the vibration transfers to the work. It is a single speed dremel so I don't care, I'll just use it for hand work and make a proper toolpost grinder with precision bearings when I get time. Now I am making a turner's cube for a girl at school--this is way more fun because I have a slick fixture. The fixture captures the cube and boring is done thru the centre hole. It is a funny looking fixture because I just made it out of a piece of scrap and didn't modify it any more than necessary.
The round piece flips over and threads into the body capturing the blue plastic block. The square body has a round boss on the other side.
Colin

IMAG0117.jpg

Loaded up my 4 x 6 saw, cut some heavy metal. Took about 30 minutes.

Charl

Charl, what type motor do you have on your saw a cummins turbo diesel and a piranha tooth blade :lmao:. That's some heavy stock, Good Job!

I made some parts and accessories for my Walker Turner bandsaw... A new throat plate, a blade guard and a rip fence.

John

blade guard.jpgrip fence.jpgrip fence off.jpgthroat plate.jpg

blade guard.jpg rip fence off.jpg rip fence.jpg throat plate.jpg

I did a LOT of unpacking and cleaning. SO nice to make the shop a nice place to work. A lot more work to go!

I still made a little time to machine a little riser for the collet rack at the end of my Heavy Ten Bed. It must have been modified once, and was interfering with the tailstock.

The outside of the bar I picked was polished and seemed case hardened- but the Kennametal carbide bit made short work of it!

Bernie

yberype3.jpg

pyruja3a.jpg

im pretty sure that the interference ws caused because that is not the correct mount for the plate. my 10l came with that mount i thought it was for a light or something? the mount that was used for the stock collet rack looked alot like the clamp used on the taper att. but with a tapped hole on the top before the section that had babbit poured into it

im pretty sure that the interference ws caused because that is not the correct mount for the plate. my 10l came with that mount i thought it was for a light or something? the mount that was used for the stock collet rack looked alot like the clamp used on the taper att. but with a tapped hole on the top before the section that had babbit poured into it

Hey Todd

I have a mount on my old 10L (1955) that looks like a clamp as well, but this was on this 1965 model- don't know if it was correct.

But even with the old clamp, this stand is too short. Must have been shortened once, or not even a SB! Hah hah... Now it works!

Bernie

Back