2013 POTD Thread Archive

My Grandson has been here for over a week and we have been working on a go-kart, My kids had no interest in the shop but he sure does!

Man that is fantastic! That's beautiful. I remember the go-cart days!
Nice Wilton vice too :)

Bernie

That's how you hook em! They think there just making something fun....but really their learning a bunch of skills. Priceless times for sure, he'll remember the time he spent with his grandpa.

Awesome!

I have 2 girls and they are stating to get interested in what dad plays with in the shop all the time. I have seen the same face on them when they are doing something in the shop.

Don't ever stop. It's priceless what you are doing for him.

Steve

Awesome!

I have 2 girls and they are stating to get interested in what dad plays with in the shop all the time. I have seen the same face on them when they are doing something in the shop.

Don't ever stop. It's priceless what you are doing for him.

Steve

Wow Steve- my daughter too! I am trying to think of projects that she can work on in the shop... :)

Bernie

My Grandson has been here for over a week and we have been working on a go-kart, My kids had no interest in the shop but he sure does!

Nice job,
Your grandson is lucky with such a granddad...

A little comment, if you give the frontwheel-pivoting points some caster,
that will make the steering self-centering.

What plans do you have to power it?

great job

The same thing I do everyday, Pinky..... Cleaned up some more and started making room to add my 9X when I bring it to it's new home in a few days....Can hardly wait till I get my new to me lathe moved, set-up and adjusted. With any luck it isn't going to take much if any tweaking since it is a used machine that has been run and done projects already. And a special THANK YOU!!!! to Saintricky for hooking a brother up with a great machine and great price. Could not have done it without your help. It proves there are still decent folks out there in the world willing to help when they can!!!

Bob

Wow Steve- my daughter too! I am trying to think of projects that she can work on in the shop... :)

Bernie
Teach them to wire weld since it is about the easiest to pick up quickly and she can pick some of her own projects while you just "supervise and help" That's how I started both of mine, and my wifes dad did the same thing with his 6 girls too. My wife can definitely weld better than yours!!!!!!!, and she does Ornamental iron work just for kicks and giggles. She can also do all the girly dress up with Hair, Nails, and heels along with crocheting lace and counted cross stich stuff for the house....She is well rounded in a bunch of different ways too.

Bob

It's been hot the last week or so here in New Mexico. It's been hot enough to remind me that I have an air conditioner that I bought last year as part of my home office upgrade that needed installation :) I decided I wanted to spend more time in the shop than in the office, having it be cooler in the shop should encourage me.

I took the easy route. I removed the sliding pane from the window and cut a piece of 3/4" plywood to fit in the tracks, added some extra mounting reinforcement to cause anyone wanting to get into my shop through the AC mounting to realize it is easier to go through the glass next to it. I'm tempted to add another sheet of plywood on the outside to clamp up against the window frame. Might be over kill though. I figure I can put an exhaust fan above the AC to handle any fumes that build up during cutting, or I can exhaust the shop vacuum venting out the same way.

IMG_20130629_180317.jpg

IMG_20130629_180317.jpg

Back