2013 POTD Thread Archive

Projects look great everyone. Garageguy I need one of those too - will have to look up the DIY How too.

I was cutting plywood discs on my CNC router for Longworth Chucks for some turners on woodnet today (between the turkey and the nap).

Here is a pic of the ones on Tuesday.

photo1_zps07c33fcd.jpg

photo1_zps07c33fcd.jpg

Actually Wednesday, not Thanksgiving day.

A chuck key for my flex shaft grinder. The standard T-type chuck keys are annoying because they're slow to open the chuck. With the modified one, I can spin it with my fingers and at the end use the cross bar to tighten the chuck.

I epoxied (JB Weld) the stem of the chuck key in the knurled holder I made.

01 Chuck key next to grinder handle (Large).JPG 02 Chuck key in grinder handle (Large).JPG

Well, finished my tilt table this afternoon. Turned out okay I guess. Made one screw up, can you guys see what it is ?

DSC_0198 (640x427).jpgDSC_0196 (640x427).jpgDSC_0194 (640x427).jpgDSC_0195 (640x427).jpg

DSC_0198 (640x427).jpg DSC_0194 (640x427).jpg DSC_0195 (640x427).jpg DSC_0196 (640x427).jpg

One mounting hole on the bottom is not aligned with the others, But who cares? It looks great!

Today I made a bracket to mount my Harbor Freight band saw vertically. It clamps in my bench vise and attaches to the saw through a couple holes I drilled in the body casting. The rods are 3.5" long and made from treadmill axle. The rest is some rusty angle iron I had laying around. The best part is that the clamp piece is the waste angle iron from between the cuts I made to make the bevel for the right angle. It was the perfect size to leave a half inch on each end off the centers of the screws. The screw spacing was determined by the gaps in the webs in the casting.

I need to make a table for it still, but the little stop the saw came with will do until I can get my hands on something nice to use for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATPtg7QfFPM

P.S. I know my welds are crap. They passed the hammer test though. Some day I need to get a welder that cost more than 90 bucks :D

Last edited:
One mounting hole on the bottom is not aligned with the others, But who cares? It looks great!

Ha, well that too. What I was referring to is not real obvious. I had meant to tap the holes 1/4x20 but inadvertently picked up a 7mm drill instead of number 7, so the holes were too large for 1/4 so I ended up taping them 5/16. No big deal,I think it will be okay.

I have an adapter to make to attach my Rusnok ST to my Hardinge, but have wanted to actually enjoy being in my shop while I tackled this somewhat involved project. This is also why I haven't been as present here for the last week or two.

I have been moving many of my machines, adding machines, preparing to sell machines, and moving benches (still loaded) and other odds and ends around with great success in making more room, and more efficient room.

I wish I remembered to take pics of moving my bench, as I was pretty happy to not need to unload it first! And it is LOADED! I will repost this more completely later, in our new forum for moving big, heavily things! :)

But here is a pic of the 20 inch Walker Turner Drill Press finally taking the 20 foot walk across the shop to it's place by the Hardinge and 10L. Those are two HF 12x18 dollies, with a piece if 12x18 steel diamond plate, bent over the edge sitting on each.
I tilted the press forward (heavy!) until I could get the first one all the way under. Then tilted it up from the front, with the back chocked, to put the other dolly in front.
The steel diamond plate makes a big difference distributing the weight to all the wheels on these cheaply dollies. Amazing for $12 bucks though.

uhymusu5.jpg

I may be done moving the big stuff. Now it's time to clean up!

Bernie

uhymusu5.jpg

Today I made a shield for my milling machine, made it beacause every time I turn on the cooling system I've got all my workshop covered with coolant.
There were no machining operations except from drillin' two holes, because I found the metal parts in my shop.
After the first "test" of the shield it turns out that I'll need a side shields too :LOL:
Here are some pics:

_IGP8933.jpg _IGP8934.jpg

There was a thread earlier this month regarding a shear cutter for shapers, seams to have disappeared or I can't find it.
In the thread I'd asked for tips on how to reduce chatter while I was cutting teeth on a rack. One of the suggestions was to eliminate the tool holder and mount a larger blank directly on the clapper.
Tried it today and can't believe the difference.
Who ever it was that suggested it THANKS.

IMG_0888.jpg

Greg

IMG_0888.jpg

Finally got around to making a plinth block (yeah, that is redundant) to use instead of the compound. It is much more rigid than the compound and takes up much less space. It uses the same mounting as the compound so I can switch it out easily. It is a block of 12L14 that I had partially roughed out for a quick change toolpost before I got my new toolpost. I also got to try out the new grind for my bit on my fly cutter. It seems to cut much more freely and puts much less stress on the mill. I see by my cutting, I have gotten a little bit out of tram. Guess it gives me another project to get to.

IMG_0276.JPG
IMG_0275.JPG

IMG_0276.JPG

IMG_0275.JPG

Back