2014 POTD Thread Archive

I have been playing with my lathe quite a bit. About 10 years ago I made one of these replicas (the one you see painted) but never finished it. Since I am on Holiday vacation, decided to un-dust the project and get some more done. Have been practicing different ways of making it, in an attempt to practice different techniques and obtain different results (at least internally). Can you recognize who this "powerful" weapon belongs to? heh heh heh...

LightsabersProgress_12-29-2014.jpg

LightsabersProgress_12-29-2014.jpg

Off this week so getting some shop time. Got 3 projects done today. Project 3 I added a tool holder to my sheet metal break. It takes 3 tools to make adjustments to the break.

View attachment 91004

Had to chuckle. This is a great idea. If the plastic was black or grey, and it said "tool holder" on the side, it would cost 5 times as much (WITHOUT the M&Ms!) :roflmao:

GG

Yesterday was a busy one for me, a friend came by with a project for me. He wanted to replace the bolt on his high pressure air rifle. The original bolt is pot cast metal.

wthlic.jpg

For the replacement bolt, started with a Hex brass rod, turned down a shank and allowed the knob enough material to turn with the ball turner, but when we look at how neat the hex would look like, we left it at that, proceeded to single point the other end with 1/4x20 thread and called it good.

The barrel where the handle screws into was turned from the same hex material. The hole that goes over the charging rod inside the rifle was drilled and bored to .318 at .375 deep. Copied the size from original bolt. The Kaiser Thin Bit micro bore with miniature Trigon came in real handy.

Set up the barrel part on the mill, drilled and threaded the connecting hole for the handle. Counter sunk the hole with an end mill for the shaft would sit in. The locking set screw in the barrel part of the bolt, not shown in the picture, is close to 5 degrees from the centerline of the knob shaft, drilled and tapped it with 10-32

2ugnclf.jpg

Learned a good lesson. The first piece I turned for the barrel part of the bolt was scrapped. I was measuring with the digital micrometer with the zero re-setted at the wrong place, and NOT verified/checked on the standard gauge before I started the work.

wthlic.jpg

2ugnclf.jpg

wthlic.jpg

2ugnclf.jpg

Last edited:
Busy week, got some new Tires on the Forklift. The old ones were original I think and flat spotted so bad it would rattle your teeth!

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Needed a set of small soft jaws that would allow me to hold round stock vertically and horizontally in the mill, so I made a set.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Bandsaw coolant pump that was in it when I bought it died, so I put another one together and got it mounted and put some round pipe on the square tubes the original owner had put on as a handle. Seems to work better now.

1.jpg2.jpg

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg

Back