2014 POTD Thread Archive

Smudgemo

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Not much of a hangover today with a little time this afternoon ended up as a chuck key for my 4 jaw. Seems to be an odd size of some sort, so I'd been wanting to make one. I grabbed an old bolt from a bunch of hardware I got from an estate and went to work on it. I have no idea where the set screw came from, but it's been laying around for a week or so and needed to be put to use. Nothing fancy, but it works.
11698936265_b3c7e4fbe4_h.jpg

11698936265_b3c7e4fbe4_h.jpg

Ha I never thought about using an old bolt as stock but thats a good idea Smudge. Depending on the grade of bolt it may hold up better than crs.
I think the pc of scrap I used is actually SS. Wont rust but on the soft side.

ARM yes lathe is an 11x30 colchester. I always thought it was a rare model but I see lately there are several guys on here who have them.

Guard is made by Flexbar products. Never thought I would like a guard (pita obstruction) but it really doesn't get in the way and flips up quickly for part access. Wouldn't go out and buy one specifically but I got it in a pile of stuff at auction so figured id use it. Really helps with containing chips and spray. Fabbed the mount for it to utilize existing fastener holes in the backsplash guard.

Being off all this week is like heaven.
Spending lots of time puttering down in the man-cave. Emerge only to eat, sleep and occasionally shovel the driveway!! :)

Today working on a storage rack for the Aloris tool holders.

Machining some nylon strips to match the dovetail on the holders. Gonna cut into 2" long sections, drill a hole and mount to the face of some 80/20 type extrusion.

Cant decide if I want the rack in back of the lathe or on the pegboard behind me on the workbench.

Mounting on the lathe will give better access but subject them to being covered with swarf.

What do you guys with QCTPs do for storing you holders?? Id love to see your setups.

jumy4ube.jpg
gy4e6azy.jpg
etuja9e5.jpg
a5y2ujy7.jpg

Right now i have them on the pegboard on the bench directly behind the lathe. Using extrusion as a shelf w/ fender washers to retain.

bezubymy.jpg

jumy4ube.jpg

gy4e6azy.jpg

etuja9e5.jpg

a5y2ujy7.jpg

bezubymy.jpg

What do you guys with QCTPs do for storing you holders?? Id love to see your setups.

I have been keeping them in a pile next to my lathe on the table right in front of the drawers of my toolbox that won't open with them there.

I don't reccommend this method though...

For Christmas for a friend I made a Dolphin necklace,hand coined. I have posted this item here before in Mods at Work. A few days ago I worked,but it has entirely escaped my mind WHAT I did!! Today I made 3 bezel forming tools for my wife's jewelry business.

Replaced washers with the nylon wedges. Works lot better
4e7aja5y.jpg
Decided to go ahead and make a bracket on the headstock as well.
epy6esyb.jpg
puvupuze.jpg
Looks flimsy in the pic hanging out there but surprisingly its fairly stiff.
Great part about the extrusion is it can adjust and reconfigure easily. Still need to make the holders for the live center, drill chuck etc.

4e7aja5y.jpg

epy6esyb.jpg

puvupuze.jpg

She bought a bunch of stones of various shapes. A bezel is a thin,flat piece of silver soldered on edge to go around a stone or some other thing like a picture. To make these bezels accurately,she needs a steel rod with the shape of the stone milled out the shape of the stone on its end,plus a few thousandths oversize to allow for shrinkage if used in a cast model. I have made bezel forming shapes for everything she needs to make bezels for. Makes for much more accurate work on her part.

completed a steel derrick (inside steam boiler and apparatus obviously is wood, coated with marine west and later painted)

left it outside to normalize the worked steel and this is what it looks like this morning

it's all welded together and the wheels and pulleys were all turned on my SB9A lathe

IMG-20131231-00077.jpg DSC_5888.jpg

I need to disassemble, finish polishing and add rubber feet, but not to shabby for a quick project.

razor.JPG

Will someone please post a link to where you can purchase those machines that don't make chips? You guys seem to all own them? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

"Billy G"

Back