2015 POTD Thread Archive

I'm pretty certain the nose of an atlas is not hard, it could be wear idk, I've looked at it for years and kinda thought it looked tapered but never measured it until yesterday when i made the gage. I got one of those you suck deals on all this tooling, 500 bucks, and there is about 5-8 grand worth of tooling, bison indexer, auto bore-face head prolly about 150 inserts, maybe 100 end Mills 40-50 reamers new in packs, too much to list lol suburban grind cube, it goes on and on, also got a Blake coax, set of starrett outside mics, grinding wheel balance stand,

Nice score. You DO SUCK and I HATE you! LOL That must have been the only other machinist in Alaska! There are hundreds of retiring machine shops and machinists around old steeltown here yet I can't get 1/10 as lucky. I've been looking for a super spacer or dividing head for years and haven't come across a deal yet.
Today I charged/topped up the three batteries in the boat and loaded most of my fishing tackle, nets, minnow buckets, etc.. Gone fishing tomorrow!!! I'm going to try for smallmouth bass first, then walleye, and maybe jumbo perch if there's any room left in the boat.

I'm pretty certain the nose of an atlas is not hard, it could be wear idk, I've looked at it for years and kinda thought it looked tapered but never measured it until yesterday when i made the gage. I got one of those you suck deals on all this tooling, 500 bucks, and there is about 5-8 grand worth of tooling, bison indexer, auto bore-face head prolly about 150 inserts, maybe 100 end Mills 40-50 reamers new in packs, too much to list lol suburban grind cube, it goes on and on, also got a Blake coax, set of starrett outside mics, grinding wheel balance stand,

Yup ! :you suck: That's even a better deal than I got on my new (to me) forklift and it was free

Both of you did good, But you live where you can find stuff. Try the south Texas area, It all gets grabbed and sent across the border. We have to import it from up north. or Houston. Good scores, Are you going to share some it.

Lol Alaska has nothing and when it's available it's highly overpriced, except that ONE time ya know, and yes I have a few items for share, AXA size Armstrong threading tool, and a couple AXA holders, DTM brand china?

Forgot to include that I bought my mill from Ohio and had it shipped up here with the ice road trucker company lol

Last edited:
I have a few items for share, AXA size Armstrong threading tool, and a couple AXA holders, DTM brand china?

The DTM holders would be from Dovetail Tool Mfg out of New Jersey, I've got one of their AXA tool posts, very nice.
Cheers,
Greg.

Latest project is the rebuild of another commercial potato peeler. Have to replace ss. shaft, thrust bearing, seals, drive gears, and bronze bushings. Started with the main housing set up on mill table. Took a while and the help of a small screw jack to dial in the shaft hole. This is my first time setting up something on the new to me mill, on the table itself. Thrust bearing being replaced with a 1/2" larger unit and set 1/8" deeper to allow space for a double lip seal above. Hole bored to 2.498" for light press. Ordered bushings (cheaper than raw bearing bronze) for Monday pickup with new seal. Picked up 1.250" 316 ss. shafting - will turn tonight.

!cid_2BE1D2F265B644459B9F3D037FC740C3@Laptop.jpg !cid_47A13A955C71487E8DC396F58BF7717E@Laptop.jpg

Last edited:
Back