2015 POTD Thread Archive

Did you thread all the way through the extension?

The extension is 2" long with 1" of thread on the female end. There is about 3/4" of male thread on the other end.

I was a little stressed on when to disengage the half nut. I ended up using a dial indicator and set it up so that if I disengaged the half nut between 0 and 100 I would be okay. Worked pretty good.

For the last week I have been installing a residential refrigerator in our coach. I removed the Norcold absorption refrigerator. Most of the work has been done in the coach itself but I did have to machine a few mounting brackets last night for bolting it down.

Here is the completed project, other than a couple pieces of trim along the bottom edge and installing the lower kick panel on the fridge.
uui9s.jpg

Now to perform a very thorough cleaning and get everything put back together. I hate carpentry work and/or working with wood. That is outside of my area of expertise.:confusion:

Mike.

uui9s.jpg

That's what I have. I tried it one handed and other than a wicked initial twist it would move the head up, just had to work hard doing it. Google "Milwaukie Hole Shooter", big, red, half inch drill motor that can hurt you if you are not careful. I plan on keeping it near the mill from know on, don't use it that often anymore as I have better tools to drill holes with now. :)

Yes Sir, that baby ever got hung up you can't release the trigger fast enough. Most add a extra handle for safety.
I've used one a few times.

That Hole Shooter is a serious drill.

I have a couple of 1/2" 18V Milwaukee hammer drills that can break your wrist if they get hung up and you aren't ready, especially when they are on high speed. Side handle is recommended.

The drill that has hurt me the most times is my old Porter Cable 3/8" corded drill.

Also I think the gas makes a big difference.

Gas is a lot cleaner, but for the sake of improved welds, my biggest jump forward(other than more practice) was an auto-darkening helmet.
The number of times I started in the wrong place due to moving slightly while lowering the face shield was ridiculous.
Now I can see everything line-up and go weld...in the right spot!

I actually found my helmet on ebay with shipping for less than one locally.
Also, go with one that has a bigger view window, especially if you wear bi-focals!
Mine is about 4" wide by 3" tall.
My Dad liked my helmet so much I bought him one as a gift.

Other "nice to haves" on that helmet are a delay control and a shade control.

-brino

Around 25 years ago, I built a belt driven grinder. Long story short, I decided to dedicate this grinder for wire wheel use only. For the corse side, I have a large braided wire cup mounted on the arbor. After a while, the wire ends get bent, but it's impractical to remove the cup. So I wired a 4 way switch in the motor direction leads to easily do this. As soon as I make a circuit diagram, I'll post about wiring the directional switch on the Electrical Issues forum.

IMG_20150904_120933.jpg IMG_20150904_120900.jpg

Gas is a lot cleaner, but for the sake of improved welds, my biggest jump forward(other than more practice) was an auto-darkening helmet.
The number of times I started in the wrong place due to moving slightly while lowering the face shield was ridiculous.
Now I can see everything line-up and go weld...in the right spot!

I actually found my helmet on ebay with shipping for less than one locally.
Also, go with one that has a bigger view window, especially if you wear bi-focals!
Mine is about 4" wide by 3" tall.
My Dad liked my helmet so much I bought him one as a gift.

Other "nice to haves" on that helmet are a delay control and a shade control.

-brino

+1.
You could add a magnifier lens if your eyes require a little help.

My project was to clean up and slightly alter an arbor for my horizontal mill. Nothing worth going into. The preparation was another story though.

I decided to turn it between centers. Since I only have one quick change tool post and it was on the other lathe I decided to use a lantern tool post

I recently bought five each right hand tools and threading tools. I went looking for one of the right hand tools that I had recently used. I couldn't find it, but the others were all there. They still had wax or whatever that is on their tips. Hmm. I went looking for the threading tool I had recently used. Same thing - not there but the others with their tips coated were. Hmm. I looked through all the drawers in my two tool boxes where I might keep them. I also looked in my case where I keep various ground lathe bits. No sign.

I was stumped. Then it came to me in a flash - what a pin head!

They were in the QCTP tool holders where I had left them.

Yep, didn't feel real smart after that.

Heh. I think we have all been there at one point. Awhile back, I was doing some woodworking. Measure, mark, cut, repeat. I went to fire up the mitre saw and stopped cold. Said "Nope, need my safety glasses." Grabbed on top of my cap where I usually leave them. Nope. Looked around the bench. Nope. Looked on the ground. Nope. Swore, stomped back into the shop and opened a new pair. Went to put them on and whack!

I was already wearing a pair.

Back