2015 POTD Thread Archive

YOu have a few more corners that you could pack, Above the Subaru. A Bigger shop, means collect more stuff, (tool junkie). I have to find some way to pay for a new one, but I'm now quite as packed as you yet.

Finished installing the x and y axis for my DRO on the new PM450G mill.
I have to say that for the amount of work that goes into putting one of these on, I am not sure it is worth the savings of doing it yourself.

Either way, it came out pretty well. The one shot oiler on this thing just makes the way oil ooze out of the ways when you pull the lever, so I made sure the scales had a lot of extra clearance. The machine is basically always covered in a thin coat of Vactra...

I chose to have the y-axis scale fixed, and allow the read head to move back and forth this time. Hopefully I won't come to regret it, I figure the weak point on Chinese DRO's is the wire going into the read head. I added strain relief to the bracket, and I still have to devise a simple method to allow the wires to move with the y-axis. The covers are all fitted, but removed for the photo.

I also included two pic of the method I used for copying the angle of the base casting to the swivel vise so I could machine angled spacer blocks.
IMAG0520.jpg
IMAG0521.jpg
IMAG0519.jpg
IMAG0523.jpg
Yes, that is a piece of steel bolted an aluminum spacer for the y-axis read head. There should be no problem with it because there will not be any electrolytic fluid used, and everything is covered in oil from the one-shot oiler anyway. The scrapped paint under the y-axis came from a mounting bolt that needed to be shortened.

I bet the trunk lid on the "t" bird makes a good chip tray! The cutting oil spray would wipe off it nice too!!! I agree, you definitely need a bigger shop. O r smaller toys LOL.

Dan S.
Nice job tipping the set screws.
Are the screws hard, as most set screws are, or were they easy to drill.
Can't tell what material they are from the pics.

Dan S.
Nice job tipping the set screws.
Are the screws hard, as most set screws are, or were they easy to drill.
Can't tell what material they are from the pics.

They came with the set true chuck I'm mounting so I don't know for sure how hard they are. However they turned like typical class 10.9 metric bolts (similar to grade 8).

I bet those will be great on your mill, Peter. I had a similar set-up on my mini mill, using a macro photography fluorescent ring light. It was the best light ever for a mill, which I consider to be one of the most difficult to light tools in the workshop.

I'll be interested to see how you bracket them on.

Do they come with the module to power them? (not the power supply)

Last edited:
Back