2015 POTD Thread Archive

my mill showed up with a little with wood jammed in the center of the X screw, I tossed an indicator on the screw and read .050" runout, she be bent. But being that it was used the shipping company did nothing for me, although clearly it had been bumped into another crate or whatever, it didn't hurt anything else that I could tell, BUT I don't know if the shock could have damaged the Turcite on the ways....

I would hurry up and chuck a piece of something straight and long, run an indicator down it mounted to the carriage and make sure that that "bump" didn't knock the headstock/spindle out of alignment with the ways, of course do that after you clean
and am I seeing right that there is paint all over the ways?
on a side note, I do wish that my lathe was more robust like those, hopefully someday I can replace the atlas

Last edited:
I got it all polished and added some nice hardware. Now this is more my caliber of work :D
View attachment 114921
From the end you can see the springs and nylon spacers

View attachment 114922
The photo doesn't do it proper justice. T%his thing is really shiny ( and I like shiny :D)

Tomorrow I will be making the blade beveling fixture. It is really simple.
Today I made the block to dress the blade for welding.
block.jpg
This block has a 20 degree angle cut in 1/2" deep. It will bolt to a bracket that clamps on the table for my belt sander. The bade is slid into the groove and dressed when it hits the belt . both ends get dressed so there is a slight bevel overlap for the weld joint . A piece of silver solder ribbon along with flux is placed in the joint on the welding jig and heated to melt the solder. I know someone is going to ask what the indent in the block is for. Actually, it is half a hole as this block was retrieved from the trash can. BUT , the indent will be handy to put my thumb in to hold the block in place, sooo... it looks like it should be there:D ( it still gets bolted to the bracket). I'll post another pic as soon as I scrounge up a piece for the bracket.

Beautiful oil can! I am gratified to see it! Please let us know how your method of sealing on the outside works.
R

Finally finished a sled for my bandsaw:
R
Now that I have a metal cutting bandsaw, I can see how this would make for an excellent accessory! Where did you locate that vise? I have a larger version of that for my drill press.

I have had that quick release vice for about 25 years. It came from Sears!
There are a ton of quick release vices out there.
My next plan is to put a micrometer stop on the left hand side. I can zero it to the blade and then cut off consistent slices. Should save some time removing material on the lathe. Good for making washers.
If you look carefully, you will see I have a pulley and counterweight system that automatically feeds the work also.
R

Finished my rotational plate for my Dake #2 arbor press

Made a quick and dirty bending jig to make leaf spring clips for the leaf springs onmy 56 Chebby pick-m-up and folded up 5 clips

Drank a few IPA's to celebrate all I did:confused:

Back