2015 POTD Thread Archive

That's on the tool list, but I need a bigger shop first, so I've been making do with this little guy.
http://www.dans-hobbies.com/2008/07/12/shop-made-dust-collector/
I like it ,
Several years ago I made similar for dust collection device when I used a double spaced carbide /diamond blade in an old mains 240 voltage power saw ( bit like a Skill-saw) to chase cable channels out of solid brick work .
My intake hose had the internal end inside the bin going into 6 inches of water , mid point in the trash can I put two 1/16 " square nylon mesh screens to try and catch any big drops of water or crud that lifted up out the soup .
At the extractor end of the trash can had several layers of green Scotch Brite pan scrubbers as a final water filter device . My extraction vac device was an old wet & dry vacuum cleaner .
It worked well with six metres of 40 mm rigid extraction pipe I'd attached to the extraction cowl of the power saw.
Emptying it every 20 or so feet of wall cuts was a PIA but worth the effort as I was able to work with a single filter face respirator and safety glasses .
In the end when I'd finished with it I sold it at a flea market sale for £ 80 ( $ 120 USD ). to the first person who looked at it .

Finished up another ER40 Collet Chuck to hold stock in the Mill Vise to machine.
Started out with a leftover piece of 2 1/2" 12L14 I had laying around.
Milled 4 sides flat to 2" across. Then chucked it up in the 4 jaw and turned an end down to 50mm.
Then changed the gears on the Craftsman to thread metric 1.5mm with the QCGB.
Turned out great.
Now I need to order 2 more nuts for it and the next one I make for Hex stock, so I don't have to keep swapping them with the chuck I use on the lathe.

upload_2015-12-12_21-45-31.png

upload_2015-12-12_21-45-55.png

upload_2015-12-12_21-46-28.png

Worked on boring bar holder similar to one posted about 3 weeks ago. I fits a 4 way tool post and holds a 1/2" round boring bar. Doubt if I use countersunk cap-screws as I find it harder to find allen wrenches than 7/16" wrenches. This will give me a chance to use my horizontal mill to cut the slot for clamping the bar.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I have been doing many interesting jobs in the shop lately. One that I finished today is making all new handles for my lathe. All 19 of them!! Several of them were cracked and some had stripped threads. Had four feet of aluminum rod and only have about two inches left.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg A customer has a collection of old glass insulators that used to be on power poles. He needed some authentic looking wooden holders for them that were up on the power poles. Found out they had a 1 1/4" X 4 tpi. Luckily that is the coarsest thread my lathe would cut. The threaded hole in the insulators was 1 1/4" on the large end and .780" on the other end. That made things interesting. He also wanted to be able to display them with LEDs inside them so I had to drill a 3/16" hole thru the 6" shaft for the wiring. I was happy with the results and so was he. image.jpeg

Pops,
Any photos of them lit up? those look real cool would love to see them lit.
Mark

I previously hadn't given much thought to threading wood like you've done. My guess is that doing it with the same tools/techniques I use on metal would be a mess. I'd be interested in some details about 'how'.

My gut tells me that a conventional 60° HHS lathe bit (for metal) would tear out chunks rather than cut. Special grind?

I think your parts look great.

Back