2015 POTD Thread Archive

I know but I like things to be straight square and parallel, it would be difficult for me to see the shaft at an angle and not do something about it. We'll see how it looks
I have an Econo-Probe, a commercial version of what you're building. I use it (with a flat plate instead of a probe), as a touch-down reference for the milling machine. Mine has three jack screws for leveling. The PC board is mounted on three dabs of silicone, and the setscrews push it away from the mounting surface. This limits how far you can adjust it (before tearing the silicone), but if correctly set to start with, it won't be a problem. I used a micrometer around the periphery of the plate when adjusting mine.

Radial jack screws should work with such a setup.

My project was hoping this thing didn't get me.
This was taken in Garland tonight, about 6 miles from my house and shop.
It is illuminated by power line flashes.

View attachment 117432

It turns out that was an EF4 tornado. That's a big one. Winds over 165 mph. 4 tornadoes made some very large messes around here last night.

Last edited:
Thanks for that info hman, I planned on having all the adjustment built into the shank end. The body will be 7075, but the shank will be whittled from some tough mystery bar stock I have, it turns really really nice with carbide, will have a 3/4" shank. I could use 4140 but I don't wanna buy anything more for this project, except maybe a jack connector

The atlas lathes sure Don't have very much room to mount stuff up on, I did the yuri touch dro on my x axis and had to remove it for a special job and never installed it again

20151227_171507.jpg 20151227_185713.jpg 20151227_185801.jpg Started yesterday but got it done today. I had been wanting to make or buy one for a long time, and if I'm gonna make something it has to have some personal touches.
20151227_171507.jpg 20151227_185713.jpg 20151227_185801.jpg

Got tired of trying to find a place to lay the torch/gun when welding. Yes I could have just made a pipe style or a bent plate but where is the fun and style in that.
FYI 63 is my Unions local number.

Mark

Last edited:
How come all of a sudden when I post pics here they end up on there side?

Mark

How come all of a sudden when I post pics here they end up on there side?

Mark
I wonder if it has anything to do with how it was taken? ie. the camera held sidways or vertical. Just a thought

Back