2015 POTD Thread Archive

Nice clean mounting Franko. I just got a set of the Absolutes for my 10k from David - great guy to deal with. Just have to figure out how to mount them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hasnt been the backing up that broke mine, it was the chains and the tilting down and catching a rock! I have C channel around the back, top and bottom but the front would have lasted longer with a cage.
I have just 48 yrs of dragging trailers around the world but still occasionally walloped a light cluster or someone else did with their truck or trailer etc. My damage ...usually it was similar or a broken branch discovered at night whilst going to collect batches of eight full bee hive from quarries , ravines or in the three tonne tipper truck & tipping trailer with loads of rubble & all manner of rubbish out of derelict factory sites

Started making a set of pneumatic operated wheel brakes for a friends RC jet. I have to mill a slot in the hub that captures the bottom of the gear, install an air fitting and match drill the mounting holes in the drum to bolt up to the wheel. The air fitting goes on the hub side of the center part and air pressure expands the O ring out against the drum.

image.jpg

Started making a set of pneumatic operated wheel brakes for a friends RC jet. I have to mill a slot in the hub that captures the bottom of the gear, install an air fitting and match drill the mounting holes in the drum to bolt up to the wheel. The air fitting goes on the hub side of the center part and air pressure expands the O ring out against the drum.

View attachment 98327
That's a clever brake design.

I can't take credit for the design, and I suspect we will make more than one each before we get a set that works well.

Jim

My new project is going to be trying to figure out what went wrong with feed nut on my lathe. I got about halfway and bucket full of swarf into turning 1/2" off the diameter of a 1.5 aluminum rod, when I heard something clicking. A couple more passes and the change gear in the head popped out of contact. I rotated it back up and tightened everything down and fired it back up it popped out of gear again.

Something has gone haywire with the nut or whatever it is on the carriage. I've been using this lathe for 10 years and this is the first malfunction. I've never taken the carriage off, so I am a little apprehensive.

The job had to be finished, so I just left the lever disengaged and fed the carriage with the hand wheel the last quarter inch (and second buck of swarf) of material. It was slow and tedius going, but I managed to finish with a smooth enough cut.

That's no fun. Hope you get it sorted out in short order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got the doors hung, fenders hung and the gaps all aligned, got the passenger door glass in and aligned, that's my uncle in the video, I've been working on this car for about a year with him for a customer, Walt and his wife. Not my shop rather his, but we made alot of progress this week. Enjoy

Very nice!:encourage: Though, for a minute I thought for sure I was going to see them tires light up!;)

I miss my younger (carefree) days of wrenching on my babies. Last one was a '71 Chevelle SS "clone"...man, I miss that car! Now I just have a bone stock (fully loaded, mind you) 2000 Monte Carlo SS. Nice car, but it doesn't make me giggle like a little school girl like an asphalt-shredding, thundering big-block w/4-speed does!

Its a numbers matching car, there will be a burnout video when it's done, or really close to being done, have to prep the blacktop for that. Prolly be done with it in about 6 weeks, we work a week on week off schedule, so we have to hustle when we do get to work on it. ALOT of money in that car, ALOT lol

Back