2015 POTD Thread Archive

Peter, if you look at the bottom left under the posts in question, you'll see a line with your name and a "Edit" and "Report" link. Press "edit" and you can remove the pictures by deleting the "attach" items in brackets. You can remove those pics by clicking the "more options" button next to the "save" button and replace them with the offending flip-flops cropped out (if you are worried about endangering the world and all it's innocent children). I think you may have to slightly alter the name of your photo before uploading it again.

Thing is I don't get the 'edit' option. Last line seems to change a bit between the styles you choose, but I have gone through all of them and just get Name/Time/Report/#/Like/Quote/Reply in various orders - never an Edit. Can I ask what style you are using?

{Edit} Never mine - now I get an Edit option for the last post, just not for the previous posts. Must just be a time limit thing.

I think it is time limited

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the trailer ..if I had one as pretty as that it would get swiped withing 20 minutes of having it on show & be miles away in the next 20 .

Mike .
I seen there could be an easy an alternative to having the spare on the side of the trailer and making it tow out of true due to the unbalance of its weight , it could also give you a good nose weight , my idea is perhaps use the "A" frame that the tool box sits on.
Weld in two cross bars put a plate over them and raise the tool box on legs/or a frame so that you slide the spare in on top of the A frame & under the tool box . It would be easy to make a bolted up securing bar or even a hinged gate across the tyre to hold it in place as well perhaps even making it a turn handle & keyed slam lock job . That would also make it easy for you to take out if in urgent need at the road side & also be a place to store an emergency wheel brace jack if the wheel nuts are different to your vehicle leaving your tool box to hold just ratchet tensioner /tie down straps etc etc. .
It would/could help stop UV damage to the tyre as well if it were fully encased.

Thanks. My son suggested something similar to that but I wanted to keep the tongue box as low as possible. I ended up mounting the spare on the right side of the trailer just in front of the right fender. I had the spare mounted at the right front corner on my 18' car hauler several years ago when I rebuilt it and it looked fine then and didn't seem to interfere with anything. I really would have liked to have it under the tongue though to not have to deal with the UV issues and keep the lines of the trailer cleaner looking, but oh well.

Hey Mike nice Trailer. Pretty cool looking. Hey is that a Street Bob I see hiding back there? It looks like it wants to kick that trailer off to the back burner and get out. It looks good too.
Mark

That is my son's 2012 Street Bob behind the trailer. Off to the side is my 2010 Wide Glide and 2004 Ultra Classic.

zmotorsports, heres 1 of the 27 pieces im welding, I have 17 completed, this is a two'fer, I also received my Kurt D688, used the solvent tank to clean it up, and then rubbed 3M UltraFine grey scotchbrite over all the shiny surfaces, it looks damn good, also greased the needle bearings and segment, and oiled the screw. paid $320 with shipping to Alaska :) :)
kurtwelded.jpg

Nice welds and nice looking vise.

Mike.

Friday night I was able to get a couple of cross bars cut and welded in for the tongue box to sit on. The instructions that came with the box showed anchoring it down on the four inside corners but that left the bottom pretty well unsupported. I wanted to ensure the bottom didn't sag down.
ohv9ua.jpg

Welded in and the top smoothed off so the weld didn't dig into the bottom of the box.
eiryn5.jpg

I have also been in turmoil of where to mount my spare tire. I really wanted to mount it under the trailer but it hung too low. I then thought about moving it further back towards the axle to lessen the chance of catching it on something but it would make accessing it too difficult if I ever needed it. My next plan was to place in on the right side of the tongue box with a bracket that come up from the frame so it looked like it was hanging on the tongue box but actually not touching it at all. That still ended up hanging a bit lower than I liked.

In the end I moved it to the right side just between the front right corner and front of the fender. This is where I placed the one on my 18' car hauler a few years back and it looked fine.
r1z8y0.jpg

15yb4er.jpg

Here are some pictures to give an overview of the trailer prior to paint.
2ce0uif.jpg

1118izo.jpg

2ymbv5j.jpg

Saturday morning here it is masked, wiped down/prepped and ready for the etching primer and then paint.
zx750h.jpg

Here is the Martin Senour 1K etching primer applied.
2d97ejt.jpg

And here are a few pictures after a couple coats of the Martin Senour PCC(Premium Commercial Coatings) single stage gloss black urethane paint.
2dazlp1.jpg

vpw560.jpg

9s8al0.jpg

ff312o.jpg

Tires/wheels bolted on and rolled back into the shop.
2hhegpy.jpg

107s0n4.jpg

I have to take a small detour from this project to get a couple of small projects completed and then I can return to complete the utility trailer. At least I can get it out of the shop for a few days without it rusting.

Next items will be wiring the trailer, cutting and attaching the ATP and then finally I can stain/treat the wood flooring and install it.

Mike.

Thanks Mike, you can see that weld near the slotted hole got me, I wasn't sure how it was gonna behave, all the following parts I have changed my approach on that hole and they look great. I will say I was pretty anxious on the first few parts, not being totally confident in my machines ability to tackle this.

Thanks Mike, you can see that weld near the slotted hole got me, I wasn't sure how it was gonna behave, all the following parts I have changed my approach on that hole and they look great. I will say I was pretty anxious on the first few parts, not being totally confident in my machines ability to tackle this.

I'm curious how you got that Kurt for $320. Is it brand new (it sure looks it)? Did I snooze through the Kurt 50% off sale somewhere?

Back