2015 POTD Thread Archive

Thanks for the reply jrstech, I was just curious about the radius on you clamp you did, interested in your approach

Chevydyl, I can't add anything better than the pictures to answer your question.

20150605_163451.jpg 20150605_163609.jpg

Nah, I get why you did it, I was wondering how you machined the actual radius on either side of that clamp, RT? Or just free hand, I know if I wanted to radius a part I'd clamp it to the RT or hold it in my bison super spacer/indexer

4cc0594dcf521e08f0db56c6c1722a54.jpg
4aba8eb314b245ddd54747386cc8fba2.jpg
I unloaded a Bridgeport today. ..

You really need to finish the project behind it first! :)

My first car was a '68. It must have been an early model as it shared some '67 features. I got it in '75 and it was stolen in '82. Haven't had anything "nice" since. All the rest have just been tools to get from A to B.

Nah, I get why you did it, I was wondering how you machined the actual radius on either side of that clamp, RT? Or just free hand, I know if I wanted to radius a part I'd clamp it to the RT or hold it in my bison super spacer/indexer

Chevdyl, why make it so complicated? For a paying customer I may have done it on the rotary table, but not for myself. I just ran a 1/4" end mill in from the end on each side for the inside radius, and freehanded the outside radius on the 2" x 90" belt grinder. A minute or two on the scotchbrite wheel and all is good. I have too many projects lined up for this "new to me" mill and have to allocate my time where it is needed. Cheers and thanks for the interest.

That's what I wanted to know ;) me has no belt sander. Looks real good.

That's what I wanted to know ;) me has no belt sander. Looks real good.

Chevydyl, I was looking for this mini-pallet that mounts in a chuck and came across an old Tom Lipton video where he uses one to make a radius on a bar. So many tips and tricks to view - if only I could remember half of them. Do a YouTube search for Monday Night Meatloaf 6. I would post the link but not sure if it's allowed.

I started this yesterday, and finished the plate today. My mini-pallet is made of 6" x 8" x 1/2" cold rolled mounted to a 2-1/2" cold rolled round, turned between centers on the lathe. Approximately 80 holes drilled , countersunk, and threaded 10-32, including the one I somehow managed to strip. My arms are sore! Pallet can be mounted on parallels or by the bar in the vise at any angle. Now I need to make an assortment of sizes of mini hold-downs. After supper.

20150606_153745.jpg

Nice pallet, just fyi, when I tap, I power tap on my mill, put the tap in a collet, hell I've done it with my albrecth, run in low super slow, feed down with the lever and keep one hand on the off switch. Friend of mine does it in blind holes at his machine shop, doesn't like the tapping head.

I power tap when using something that has reverse. I have even done it using a hand drill. I will only power tap a blind hole if I have a spiral tap that pushes the chip out. Or if the hole is definitely deep enough.

John that definitely looks nice.

Back