2016 POTD Thread Archive

Not much of a 'project' but I got tired of rummaging around for lathe tools and bent up a piece of aluminum sheet so I could see the ends of the tools and know what I was reaching for.

My lathe backs up to the milling machine so I use the mill cabinet for a tool shelf. I sheared a piece of sheet aluminum that would fit into the available space, then put a 1/2" bend at the bottom to keep the tool holders from sliding off, then bent it so the tools were at about a 45 degree angle.

Now I can see the 'business end' of the desired tool and grab it easily. I've had the lathe about a year and have been meaning to do this since I moved it in!

IMG_20160320_173553287.jpg IMG_20160320_173602492.jpg

Stu

Tom B,
Today I tried to harden a piece of 4140 I had, turned down to around .50, heated with a small propane torch, maybe a little on the hot side kinda orangish, but held it for several minutes and gave it a dunk in cold WATER, my newish file skated over it. I've yet to try it in oil, but I thought I'd share that info, I think the key is the soak time

Durn, Stu, that's a better solution than I came up with! Unfortunately, it's not too easy for me to change the angle of my main tool mounting board ... so I used a silver Sharpie to draw the shape on the end I can see what's what. I do like your solution better than mine.
kHPIM4233.jpg

Not really a major project but...One of the Electrical/Instrumentation Engineers found a bolt in his office. He went 'yammering' on :guilty: about how they only used small screws and bolts and why was this in his office. So, when he was distracted I pocketed the item in question. :eek 2:

Not precise machining, all lathe work done in a couple of hours but...we'll see what he says when he finds it on his desk tomorrow
.:big grin:
View attachment 125266
When I got to his office (I had placed the paperweight on his desk earlier) he held it up and said someone left this "Was it you?" I said, "Why would I do that?" Then he was even more frustrated. He tried to look up the "Patent No." and found out it was bogus (go figure). He is worrying over this and has asked several folks where it came from. He wants to know who 'bought' it. I'll let him stew awhile longer.

That is sadistic. Tormenting a handicapped guy like that. :D
You know he has no common sense and is unable to comprehend a joke.

I think the key is the soak time

I doubt that I soaked it for a minute, using Oxy Acetylene, didn't want to melt it. Also, the water may have helped. I read that small pieces could be chilled in an air blast. It didn't say how small. Anyway, I was able to use my countersink today, it cut aluminum nicely.

Thanks for the update.

MAKE UP A BILL AND LEAVE IT ON THE FLOOR.....PROTOTYPE PIN,,,,$7895.00

When I got to his office (I had placed the paperweight on his desk earlier) he held it up and said someone left this "Was it you?" I said, "Why would I do that?" Then he was even more frustrated. He tried to look up the "Patent No." and found out it was bogus (go figure). He is worrying over this and has asked several folks where it came from. He wants to know who 'bought' it. I'll let him stew awhile longer.

the second dro arrived today. got it hooked up and added some wire routing clamps to keep it all safe...waited 15 years to do this...lol

there isn't much room for the old style so i just put it off..these absolutes are nice and compact ;-)

IMG_8765.JPG IMG_8766.JPG IMG_8767.JPG IMG_8768.JPG IMG_8772.JPG

Not really a major project but...One of the Electrical/Instrumentation Engineers found a bolt in his office. He went 'yammering' on :guilty: about how they only used small screws and bolts and why was this in his office. So, when he was distracted I pocketed the item in question. :eek 2:

Not precise machining, all lathe work done in a couple of hours but...we'll see what he says when he finds it on his desk tomorrow
.:big grin:
View attachment 125266

Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 1.59.51 PM.jpg

Back